cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect VPN suddenly drops internet connection

ajdmbs
Level 1
Level 1

I installed the AnyConnect VPN Client on my laptop a couple of weeks ago, and didn't have any problems working with my lab in my  sandbox.

However, I just ran the AnyConnect VPN to work another lab, but it is now blocking my internet, and I cannot work on the sandbox.

I looked at the configuration options, but they are limited and don't seem to do anything (there are no Advanced settings):

ajdmbs_0-1681159545638.png

Help!  I have a limited time with the lab, and this issue is not allowing me to access any of the servers, Cisco or otherwise.

Thanks,

Alfredo Diaz

12 Replies 12

Did you try to unckeck the option Block connections to untrusted server?

Yes, I tried it with the "Block connections to untrusted server" option both checked and unchecked, but I got the same result - no internet access at all.  Even the wifi icon on my laptop changes to show there's no internet.

Here are a few possible reasons for this
  • Password is copied/pasted wrong
  • The Sandbox has provisioned with errors (check your reservation via the cmd window this should show any errors)
  • The reservation has expired (check time remaining on the reservation)
  • AnyConnect has an issue (reinstall AnyConnect)
  • The sandbox has a reservation issue
  • Try turning off IPV6 on your WIFI and LAN adaptors
Please mark this as helpful or solution accepted to help others
Connect with me https://bigevilbeard.github.io

Thanks for your reply bigevilbeard.
I have tried everything you mentioned.  I verified the password, uninstalled and re-installed AnyConnect, and even turned off IPV6 in my the AnyConnect network connection.  Nothing seems to work.  Strangely, I can ping IP addresses, but the domain names are not recognized, so I think it's a DNS issue.  But I cannot work on the lab because I cannot log into the Finesse desktop, or RDP into a VM to run Jabber.

Can anyone help out?

Ok, i recall this ages back -  try adding the hostname to you /etc/hosts file. The only other time i recall this was https://community.cisco.com/t5/devnet-sandbox/internet-on-my-laptop-stops-when-on-vpn/m-p/4055662#M4568 - the comment on here.

Thanks bigevilbeard.

I rebooted my machine (again), and lo and behold, the VPN started working correctly!  I can now use the VPN and my DNS server works.  I believe turning off the IPV6 on the LAN adaptor did the trick.  I did it yesterday and the VPN still didn't work, but maybe the setting didn't take until I rebooted my system.

Thanks for all your help!

Alfredo Diaz

Cool, a reboot or coffee normally fixes most things for me!

I spoke too soon.  I was using the AnyConnect VPN this morning, and everything was fine.  All of a sudden, I connected again, and it started happening again.  The VPN is once again blocking all my internet traffic.  I 

This is pretty terrible.  Cisco gives you a time-limited access to a sandbox, but their VPN software that they require to run is blocking me from using the sandbox.  Can't say I understand the logic.

MrFanciful
Level 1
Level 1

I have the exact same problem. VPN worked fine when studying for my DevNet but now a few months later once I connect to the VPN all my regular internet traffic breaks. Doing an nslookup shows that I'm using the Sandbox DNS servers to resolve names, which is obviously the problem.

It means I can't access my study materials while I'm connected. I have to connect to perform something from my study materials, then disconnect to go back to the materials.

If my Watchguard SSLVPN client for work can allow internet traffic out while internal hostnames are resolved by internal DNS, Cisco can as well. Either that, or the sandbox DNS should also be able to resolve internet domain names, which should also be easy enough to do for a network company.

ajdmbs
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Mr. Fanciful.  From the lack of replies I figured I was the only one having this problem, I was glad to read I'm not.

Did you finally find a solution for this problem?

Afraid not. It works fine on my Mac but it’s broken on Windows apparently.

Ok. Thank you for your reply!