cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Are there are any Cisco/3rd party phones with VPN built in that can access the Collab Endpoints sandbox

scott.kooy
Level 1
Level 1

We are having a terrible time trying to access the Collab End Points lab with a physical phone.  For many reasons, we can't seem to get the VPN Tunnel up between the physical phone and the Cisco lab--part of it is due to priorities of IT dept.  I am wondering if there is an easier solution by purchasing a Cisco phone with VPN built in.  Does anyone know of any phones that will have the ability to access the lab with built in VPN (with no need for additional router equipment, etc).  Or does anyone know of any other phone (We have an Avaya 9611G right now).

5 Replies 5

jokearns1
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Scott,

Thanks for reaching out.

We usually user a router to connect to the sandbox from the remote side and then connect the phones to them . This is necessary for some of the older phones which do not have VPN built in.

I will get you a list of the Cisco phones that support VPN. Some of the DX range will be able to take advantage of expressway i.e. register without VPN. As regards 3rd party phones with VPN, we have not tested any of these with our sandbox. Is the Avaya phone the only one you have onsite at the moment?

Joe

Thanks.  That would be great!  We had planned on purchasing a Cisco phone anyway because we have customers that use your equipment.  The Avaya is the only phone we have with VPN. 

Any luck with the list of Cisco Phones compatible (without router) with the Collaboration End Points sandbox lab? Also, we are using two endpoints in the End Points sandbox.  1 will be the Cisco Phone.  2 is our end point application.  If both endpoints VPN into the end points sanbox lab.  Will the two endpoints be able to communicate with each other directly (RTP session)? IOW, will your network allow traffic from one end point to the other?

Thanks.

Hi,

The 99XX and 89XX series of phones support VPN but from what I have being told, it is better to go with endpoints that support Collaboration Edge. These Include the DX and EX series of endpoints. You can register these without the overhead of VPN connectivity.

For your second question, currently if you have a phone registered over Hardware VPN and a software endpoint over Anyconnect, they will not be able to call eachother. However, plugging the software device into the router will solve this. I am sure we can solve this issue for you.

Coming back to my first point, I would advise the use of Collaboration edge for Jabber endpoints and compatible hardware endpoints (EX and DX). Once any of these are registered to the endpoint lab, they will be able to talk to each other.

If you send on the call flows you will to achieve (location of each endpoint, connection type etc.), we can have a look and recommend the best solution.

Joe

Thanks for the info.  Our end point application (Voice Server) is a dictation application.  It simply receives calls and allows the caller to dictate.  It does not make calls.  It uses AnyConnect to VPN into the lab.  We have successfully used Counterpath's X-lite to call our Voice Server using the end point lab Call Manager..  X-lite's host also uses AnyConnect to VPN into the end point lab.  We would like to use a physical VoIP phone to call into our Voice Server through your Call Manager.  What is the best approach for VPN access to your lab.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: