cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I inject AppDynamics using GTM (Google Tag Manager)?

amybethmegjo
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using Google Tag Manager (GTM) on my app. Can I inject AppDynamics via Google Tag Manager, instead of placing the appDynamics script on index.html?

The Google Tag Manager can be used, in general, to inject different scripts. For example, I can inject Google Analytics script this way, and many other scrpts. Does appDynamics work with GTM? 

3 Replies 3

Torbjørn
Spotlight
Spotlight

Are you thinking of injecting the Javascript Browser RUM agent? If so it should work well.

Happy to help! Please mark as helpful/solution if applicable.
Get in touch: https://torbjorn.dev

Alex Becon
Level 1
Level 1

While it's not officially supported or recommended, it is technically possible to inject the AppDynamics script using Google Tag Manager (GTM). However, it's important to carefully consider the following aspects before proceeding:

1. Potential Issues and Limitations:

• Script Execution and Timing: AppDynamics scripts typically require specific placement within the HTML head to ensure accurate data collection. GTM's asynchronous loading might introduce delays or inconsistencies in script execution, potentially impacting data accuracy.
  • Script Updates and Maintenance: Manually managing AppDynamics script updates within GTM can be cumbersome and might lead to version conflicts or errors.
  • Troubleshooting and Support: Using an unsupported configuration can make it more challenging to troubleshoot issues or receive assistance from AppDynamics support.

2. Considerations for Using GTM with AppDynamics:

• Prioritize Direct Injection: If possible, direct injection of the AppDynamics script into the index.html file is generally the preferred and recommended approach.
  • Experiment with Custom HTML Tag: If you must use GTM, create a custom HTML tag to inject the AppDynamics script as early as possible in the head section.
  • Rigorous Testing: Conduct thorough testing to ensure accurate data collection and functionality.
  • Monitor Performance: Regularly monitor data quality and performance after implementation.
  • Consult AppDynamics Support: Seek guidance from AppDynamics support for best practices and troubleshooting, even if using an unsupported configuration.

3. Alternative Integration Solutions:

• Third-Party Integration Platforms: Consider using integration platforms like Workato or Zapier to connect AppDynamics with GTM, potentially offering more robust and standardized integration options.

Thank you, Alex, for the detailed answer. I will pass on the information to our technical leads and it will help us decide our next steps.