Views
Helpful
Replies

Python script to generate DNS on SDWAN Sandbox Lab

roberto.tyf
Level 1
Level 1

Hi  All ,

Recently I came to know about the DevNet Sandbox  for SDWAN  . While doing a bit of  searching on the documentation , for this lab it says that the lab is implemeting a python script to generate traffic DNS, as I check the config of that server I didnt find any python script regarding traffic DNS, so I just wanted to know if we can really get in touch with this script  or it is not permited, or maybe we have to create one somehow.

On the sandbox instruccions for this lab, says "For application traffic generation we are using python script to generate DNS requests for netflix.com, facebook.com, twitter.com, amazon.com and outlook.com. The python script is running on Server01 which is on service side of the IOS-XE SD-WAN and vEdge routers". 

So what that means  ? if i want to practice a lab  we need to  create a script or is already created? where the script is located? and how is named?

Sandbox name: Cisco SD-WAN 19.2

REgards,

Roberto Tupac

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello, there is a simple python script that is doing DNS calls, IP address calls to simulate traffic. We use this for one of the learning labs when looking at AAR (Application-Aware Routing). When the sandbox is reserved the gold image for vManage has the policy activated, along with the templates attached to devices. So when a new reservation is built, and the edge devices turn on for the first time and register with the system, all the policy/templates are in place already. Usually, application traffic takes 30 mins or so to start showing up. You should see the DNS traffic from the “server01” in all three “sites”. You can access all the devices with the sandbox, however, the devbox/hosts/servers do not allow root access (for security posture).

Typically, when using the sandbox and most use cases are for using the SD-WAN API.

Hope this helps.

Please mark this as helpful or solution accepted to help others
Connect with me https://bigevilbeard.github.io

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Hello, there is a simple python script that is doing DNS calls, IP address calls to simulate traffic. We use this for one of the learning labs when looking at AAR (Application-Aware Routing). When the sandbox is reserved the gold image for vManage has the policy activated, along with the templates attached to devices. So when a new reservation is built, and the edge devices turn on for the first time and register with the system, all the policy/templates are in place already. Usually, application traffic takes 30 mins or so to start showing up. You should see the DNS traffic from the “server01” in all three “sites”. You can access all the devices with the sandbox, however, the devbox/hosts/servers do not allow root access (for security posture).

Typically, when using the sandbox and most use cases are for using the SD-WAN API.

Hope this helps.

Please mark this as helpful or solution accepted to help others
Connect with me https://bigevilbeard.github.io