Helpful
Replies

Blocking by character set

The-Messenger
Level 1
Level 1

I just read a discussion about blocking mail basesd on a character set

quote:

2. Another option is to add the list of character sets to a dictionary text file and refer to that in your message filter.

To clarify - Can the Add Terms: field for Dictionary Properties recognize "ISO 8859-5" as a language character set and not as text?Capture.JPG

2 Replies 2

The-Messenger
Level 1
Level 1

I got it - for other newbies like me... the information that I quoted

quote:

2. Another option is to add the list of character sets to a dictionary text file and refer to that in your message filter.

Is not referring to steps taken in the gui, but in the cli.  You enter a new filter by typing "Filter"  then you enter the name of the filter, followed by a colon and the filter script.

Example -

Enter CLI

Type Filters

Type New

quarantine_russian_spam:if (recv-listener == "InboundMail") AND ((body-contains("ISO 8859-5")) OR (header("Content-type") == "(?i)ISO 8859-5")) {
    quarantine ("Policy");
}

Follow cli instructions for saving.

Hope this helps another newbie.

With the exception of the character set in question, that's what KB 808 says. For something closer to your original idea, see KB 1461. Either KB is good to read for other character sets you may want to act against.

I'm curious as to whether the condition body-contains(charset) would give any false positives. Isn't the other condition header("Content-type") ==charset sufficient? If it's necessary to pick up messages with more than one internal character set, I'd prefer something a little more exact.