cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bypass spam check with content filter

IWard
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to skip/bypass the anti-spam engine with a content filter? We have situations where we need to check the friendly from address or subject line to identify emails from bulk mailers that should be allowed. We have an existing content filter that identifies them properly, but the "skip-filters()" action still allows the anti-spam engine to move the messages into the spam quarantine.

How do we ensure that emails matching a content filter reach the target inbox without adding the entire bulk mailer domain/IP to the safe list?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You would have to try this in a filter, and i'm not sure it will work, but in my spam quarantine I see 2 header settings. I woulder if you deleted them in a filter if it would stop the quarantine.

X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Filtered
X-CASE

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

José L. Dávila
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello there,

Content filters are a step after the Antispam engine, that's why those are not effective in bypassing antispam or antivirus scan.

As an alternative, you can try a message filter searching by IP address, sending host or mail-from. Message filters are a step before the workqueue, so they take action before any antispam or antivirus check.

An example of the message filter is as follows:

SkipSpamcheckFilter:
    if ( (remote-ip == '192.168.195.101') or
         (mail-from == '@example\\.com$')      )
    {
        skip-spamcheck();
    }

You can check the following article for reference: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/email-security-appliance/117908-qa-cdc.html, hope it helps. 

José L. Dávila

Thanks Jose. Unfortunately anything that applies to an entire domain or IP address is too broad for this situation. If there is no way to bypass the anti-spam engine with a content filter, is there anything I can do with a content filter to reverse the decision that has been made? Maybe remove the quarantine flag/header somehow?

No, content filters won't do it. The skip-filters is only for the rest of "content filters"
If you want it to be "visible", the best way is to build a policy, where you turn off the spam policy for just those senders. (this is what we do)

José L. Dávila
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A way to ignore the spam engine decision is to set the Action for the identified Spam messages as Deliver instead of Drop or Quarantine. However, this would need to be applied as Ken mentions, by building a policy. Keep in mind you can customize the message filters to be mail-from based. 

José L. Dávila

Mail-from is not always sufficient for this use case. We have senders like ConstantContact and AmazonES being used by legitimate vendors who send emails that we want to ensure do not get quarantined. We can add the whole domain to a separate policy, but both of those providers send mountains of spam that we want to keep out of inboxes.

We look for consistent indicators like subject lines, content in the message body, and/or other headers which indicate that the email is from an expected source. That portion works great. The only step I'm missing is ensuring those filtered messages are delivered while keeping the other spam from those senders quarantined.

Is there a way to use a content filter to pull an email out of quarantine? Alternatively, is there anything readable at the content filter level which indicates an emails spam rating? Maybe reputation score? If we had that I could flip this around to use a policy to bypass the anti-spam engine for the domains and then a content filter to quarantine things that do not match my content filter.

You would have to try this in a filter, and i'm not sure it will work, but in my spam quarantine I see 2 header settings. I woulder if you deleted them in a filter if it would stop the quarantine.

X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Filtered
X-CASE

This seems to do the trick! Hard to test a negative, but I haven't seen any of the filtered emails get sent to the quarantine since I added the action to remove the "X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Filtered" header. I also have an action to remove the prepended subject line to make the email appear normal in the user's inbox. Thanks everyone!