Views
Helpful
Replies

C170 HDD replacement

philbert_manalo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

my HDD on C170 is degraded, i already contacted Cisco on this since it is still under warranty they replaced it. as er checking on Cisco's site i need to shutdown the ESA, but i think it is hot swappable so i assume i can just pull the HDD. i need suggestion on this. thank you!

Best Regards,

Philbert

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

martin.eppler
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Philbert,

on the C170 the HDD is NOT hot-swappable and requires the appliance to be shut down in order to change the disk. Only the C3xx, C6xx and X10xx hardware models allow a HDD change while the appliance is powered on.

Best regards,

Martin 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

martin.eppler
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Philbert,

on the C170 the HDD is NOT hot-swappable and requires the appliance to be shut down in order to change the disk. Only the C3xx, C6xx and X10xx hardware models allow a HDD change while the appliance is powered on.

Best regards,

Martin 

Hi,

But after  swapping the drives, the light is still orange. Is it need to be green or it is normal on blinking orange?

Hello Philbert,

what is the CLI command 'version' showing? Does it indicate that the RAID is rebuilding or is it still marked as degraded?

Best regards,

Martin

Hi Martin,

HDD was successfully rebuilt. thanks for the help ! :D

Regards,

Philbert

Hello Philbert,

good to hear that the HDD change was successfully completed and the RAID is back to an optimal state again.

Best regards,

Martin

Can you point me to documentation stating that? The research I did shows that they are and I just want to make sure before I swap this thing:

The RAID on the C170, M170, and S170 is software based.  The HDDs are hot-swappable.  Full details regarding replacing a hard drive can be found in the Cisco 170 Series Hardware Installation Guide.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/email-security-appliance/118568-technote-esa-00.html

YooZherName
Level 1
Level 1

Posting this as follow-up, despite the age, in case intrepid fellow labrats pick up a unit to aid their studies. Process depends a bit on how many drives are out:

To remove and install (replace) hard disk drives in the Cisco 170 series appliance, follow these steps:

1. Ensure the appliance is online.
  2. From the front panel of the Cisco 170 series appliance, remove the hard disk drive by pressing the button on the right side of the bay until the lever is released. Pull out the hard disk drive. - An alert will be generated.
  3. Log into the appliance after removal of the failed drive and shut the appliance down.
  4. After the appliance is powered off, on the front panel of the Cisco 170 series appliance, line up the hard disk drive carrier with the hard disk drive bay and push it in until it is seated. Push the lever into place.
  5. After installation of the new hard disk, turn the power back on the appliance.
  6. On the front panel of the Cisco 170 series appliance, make sure the HDD1 and HDD0 indicators are flashing green to indicate that the hard disk drives are now active. 

After a short time, the lights begin to blink which indicates the RAID container is being rebuilt. While the rebuild occurs, you might receive more RAID alerts - this is normal. The rebuild might slow mail throughput on busier systems, but otherwise has no effect on normal operations. This process can take a few hours. After it is completed, the RAID alerts should no longer occur.