cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ESA DMARC

ccna_security
Level 3
Level 3

Dear all I want to ask you few questions. I would be happy if you answer that questions. 1. Should DMARC be configured along with SPM and DKIM? Or, can I only configure DMARC for mail spoofing? 2. DMARC is used for to check the email whether it is spoofed or not, right? 3. What kind of problem would be occur if I configure DMARC?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ppreenja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

First of all, I would like to share with you below article which will answer most of your queries:
https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/security/esa-spf-dkim-dmarc.pdf

Now to answers your queries, please refer below:

1. Should DMARC be configured along with SPM and DKIM? Or, can I only configure DMARC for mail spoofing?

- DMARC is the youngest of the three (SPF,DKIM & DMARC) email authentication technologies, and was
developed specifically to address the shortcomings of both SPF and DKIM. Unlike the other two,
it authenticates the Header "From" of a message and links into the checks previously performed by
the other two. Hence, we need to enable SPF and DKIM for DMARC to work.

2. DMARC is used for to check the email whether it is spoofed or not, right?

-DomainKeys Identified Mail, or DKIM, is a technical standard that helps protect email senders and recipients from spam, spoofing, and phishing. It is a form of email authentication that allows an organization to claim responsibility for a message in a way that can be validated by the recipient.

3. What kind of problem would be occur if I configure DMARC?

- There are several potential issues with DMARC, all of which come from the nature and
shortcomings of other authentication technologies it relies to. The problem is that DMARC
brought those issues to surface by actively pushing a policy to reject email, and by correlating all
the different sender identifiers in a message.
For more details, you can refer to "DMARC-Specific Issues" in the article I shared above.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Regards,
Pratham

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

dmccabej
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I would recommend reviewing the best practices guide for SPF, DKIM and DMARC. This should give some insight into the details you're looking for. You can also take a look at the information on the official DMARC.org website. 

Thanks!

-Dennis M.

daachary
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

DMARC is generally a tool used for reporting with the building on the verification done on SPF and DKIM combined; it is to ensure the integrity of the emails combined with checking if the email is fraudulent or not from certain domains which do publish the records going forward.

DMARC will not function without either SPF or DKIM availability deployed.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/security/email-security-appliance/products-user-guide-list.html

The chapter that covers SPF, DKIM and DMARC is called "Email Authentication". Keep in mind that in order to use DMARC, you need to have both SPF and DKIM working as DMARC leverages both. For more info about DMARC, please see this page (article below also contains links to DKIM and SPF):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMARC

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Dayananda Acharya

ppreenja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

First of all, I would like to share with you below article which will answer most of your queries:
https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/security/esa-spf-dkim-dmarc.pdf

Now to answers your queries, please refer below:

1. Should DMARC be configured along with SPM and DKIM? Or, can I only configure DMARC for mail spoofing?

- DMARC is the youngest of the three (SPF,DKIM & DMARC) email authentication technologies, and was
developed specifically to address the shortcomings of both SPF and DKIM. Unlike the other two,
it authenticates the Header "From" of a message and links into the checks previously performed by
the other two. Hence, we need to enable SPF and DKIM for DMARC to work.

2. DMARC is used for to check the email whether it is spoofed or not, right?

-DomainKeys Identified Mail, or DKIM, is a technical standard that helps protect email senders and recipients from spam, spoofing, and phishing. It is a form of email authentication that allows an organization to claim responsibility for a message in a way that can be validated by the recipient.

3. What kind of problem would be occur if I configure DMARC?

- There are several potential issues with DMARC, all of which come from the nature and
shortcomings of other authentication technologies it relies to. The problem is that DMARC
brought those issues to surface by actively pushing a policy to reject email, and by correlating all
the different sender identifiers in a message.
For more details, you can refer to "DMARC-Specific Issues" in the article I shared above.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Regards,
Pratham

Thank you Pratham. I got my answer. Thanks

Happy to help!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: