cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure Ironport C160 email appliance revised

chrisjmolloy
Level 1
Level 1

Want to configure Ironport email appliance like the rest of our firewalls which reside on a different subnet.

I have configured one interface on the unit to have the same ip as our borderware firewall.  For example:

I ping un-successfully from any pc residing on our 192.168.0.X network.  The Ironport appliance has been plugged into the same switch as the rest of the units and should work.

Is it possible to have connectivity between two subnets using only one interface, or do I need configure the other interface with the different subnet??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply 1

Andreas Mueller
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Chris,

192.168.x.x is a class C network, so trying to access/ping an IP 192.168.1.1 directly from a 192.168.0.x network will not work without any routing inbetween. Thus, all requests from the 192.168.0.X network will have to go to a default gateway/router that forwards them to the 192.168.1.x network, the ESA itself does not provide such a fuctionality.  Of course. you can have different interfaces configured for different subnets, i.e. receiving on 0.x and sending on 1.x, that will just work fine.

Hope that helps,

Andreas