cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

creation of a content filter with a specifi domain

itheodosis123
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone i need to whitelist a specific domain in an esa ,i need some proposals.Lets say i want to allow the domain ed.com to send email to a whole domain that esa serve.One of my thoughts is to create an incoming filter with an envelope sender of the domain ed.com ,then i would ad a log entry "HostName: $Hostname".As a final step i would add a second actions of a skip remaining contnet filetrs.The last step would be the creation a incoming mail policies where the sender will be the domain ed.com and as a recipient would be the hosted domain.Any ideas ?

1 Reply 1

enrique8956
Level 1
Level 1

To whitelist a specific domain (e.g., ed.com) in your email security appliance (ESA) and ensure that it can send emails to your entire domain, you can follow these steps, which are similar to the approach you described but with some added details for clarity:

1. Create an Incoming Mail Filter
Access your ESA Management Console:

Navigate to Incoming Mail Filters:

Go to the section where you can configure mail filters (this may be labeled differently depending on your ESA's interface).
Add a New Filter:

Create a new incoming mail filter.
Define the Filter Criteria:

Set the filter criteria to match emails from the domain ed.com. You can typically do this by specifying the envelope sender domain.
Add Actions:

Log Entry: Add a log entry action to record the hostname or any other relevant information. For example, you might use a log entry like "HostName: $Hostname".
Skip Remaining Content Filters: Add an action to skip remaining content filters for this specific filter. This ensures that emails from ed.com will bypass other filters and be processed as allowed.
2. Create an Incoming Mail Policy
Navigate to Mail Policies:

Go to the section where you can configure mail policies for incoming emails.
Add a New Policy:

Create a new incoming mail policy.
Define the Policy Criteria:

Set the policy criteria to apply to emails from ed.com. You can specify ed.com as the sender domain in the policy.
Specify the Recipient Domain:

Set the recipient domain to be the domain that is hosted by your ESA.
Set the Policy Action:

Define the action for this policy. Typically, you will want to allow or accept these emails without additional restrictions.
3. Verify and Test
Save and Apply Changes:

Save the filter and policy settings, and apply them to ensure they are active.
Test the Configuration:

Send a test email from ed.com to ensure that it is correctly received by your domain without being filtered out.
Monitor Logs:

Check the logs to verify that the filter is working as expected and that the log entry you configured is being recorded.
Additional Tips:
Review Documentation: Consult your ESA’s documentation for specific instructions on creating filters and policies, as interfaces and terminologies can vary.
Regularly Update: Keep your filter and policy configurations up-to-date to ensure continued compliance with your email security requirements.
Monitor for False Positives: Periodically review the effectiveness of the filter and policy to ensure that no legitimate emails are being incorrectly affected.
myLoyola
This approach should help you effectively whitelist the domain ed.com and ensure that emails from this domain are allowed through to your hosted domain.