cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dictionary for password-protected files?

User0815
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

is there a possibility to create a dictonary of passwords, to scan password-protected files?

So that we don´t have to isolate protected files into quarantine.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

pchakra2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The ESA doesn't scan Encrypted (Password Protected) files as per design. The Content Dictionaries, if updated with passwords wouldn't assist scanning password protected files embedded in emails as ESA wouldn't be able to extract those encrypted files.

Best Regards,

View solution in original post

So scanning of password protected files was released in 14.0..  If there are passwords in the email along with the attachment, it will try them.  There's also a place to add 5 possible common passwords that might be company specific... I know I've asked for that to be bumped higher... there's an upper limit where things become performance problems.. but I'll keep pushing.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

pchakra2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The ESA doesn't scan Encrypted (Password Protected) files as per design. The Content Dictionaries, if updated with passwords wouldn't assist scanning password protected files embedded in emails as ESA wouldn't be able to extract those encrypted files.

Best Regards,

That's to bad, it would be a nice feature!

So scanning of password protected files was released in 14.0..  If there are passwords in the email along with the attachment, it will try them.  There's also a place to add 5 possible common passwords that might be company specific... I know I've asked for that to be bumped higher... there's an upper limit where things become performance problems.. but I'll keep pushing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: