Views
Helpful
Replies

Encryption too weak...

spepin001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Since few days, one of our partner couldn't send us any mail.

Senders use to receive back this erreor : Remote Server returned '< #5.7.0 SMTP; 503 5.7.0 encryption too weak 0 less than 128>'

I checked my settings in my Ironport server, but I didn't find what it's wrong. I tried to insert them into a Mail flow policy to force TLS, but nothing changed.

I ran tail command on the CLI, I can see their SMTP opening a session, but closing it immediatly. I imagine when they try to open TLS channel, they fail and close it !

At this point, I don't know it the issue is in my side or my partner side...

Does someone has already got this sort of issue ?

Thanks for your back.

Sylvain

4 Replies 4

You need to change your cipher string.

Under System Administration/SSL Configuration, you should try something like this:

MEDIUM:HIGH:!RC4:!aNULL:!MD5:!DSS:!EXPORT:@STRENGTH

This means include the "Medium strength ciphers, the High strength ciphers, NOT the Null, NOT the MD5, NOT the DSS, NOT the "Export" strength ciphers, then Sort them by strength

Reference here: https://www.openssl.org/docs/man1.1.0/apps/ciphers.html

Your side and their side will work down your respective lists until you find one that matches...

Thanks Ken,

When I enter in SSLConfig, for the outbound, the prompt asks me to select SSL Method :

1. TLS v1.0
2. TLS v1.1
3. TLS v1.2
4. SSL v2
5. SSL v3

By default, #5 looks to be active option ? must I select another method ?

As I could see, the cypher phrase enable at this moment is : [RC4-SHA:RC4-MD5:ALL:-aNULL:-EXPORT]

Does it look u correct ?

I'm completly newby about TLS & Cypher, to be honest I'm afraid to change this settings, I'm not sure to be able to back to right settings if I'd break what it is working fine for the most of case, excepting one...

I thank u

Sylvain

To be more secure, but still be able to get mail out, uncheck 4 and 5...

SSL2 and 3 are broken badly.

And your cipher string is very week too...

I would go with the one I posted earlier... the RC4s are pretty weak too.

At the VERY VERY least, add :@STRENGTH to the end of your string so that the stronger ciphers get tried first.

I applied your advices, I'm monitoring that and with my external partnet, we'll make some tests, to validate it's ok.....or not !

Thanks