Views
Helpful
Replies

ESA and WSA | Best Practice

John
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Team,

We need your assistance we currently have ESA C370 and WSA S370. We would like to know the capacity of the appliance or the threshold limit. Also, may we have a guide on best practice of configuration of the appliance to avoid downtime.

Example:
- maximum email transactions that ESA can handle before downtime
- maximum web transactions that WSA can handle before downtime
- threshold limits of activites of the appliance before it hits high CPU, Memory usage

1 Reply 1

Mathew Huynh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey John,

While we don't have immediate tools or documentation on the capacity guidelines to avoid these - i would suggest (if you have a contact) to reach out to your Cisco Account/Systems engineers who can review the loads/capacity you're looking at so ensure your systems can be run safely.

The maximum values can really differ due to:
- size of emails coming through
- how the emails are structured/crafted
- what features you'll be employing on the filtering, minimal? or very high threshold and every type of scanning available

all of these and more will determine the throughput on the ESA as well as CPU and memory usage.

From my experience i've seen some devices handle up to about ~80 emails per minute on the C370 while using the defaulted values and thresholds which are suggested for the device very safely - then i've also seen some devices handle several hundreds more as there was minimal scanning done.

But there has been circumstances with unique and larger emails, different forms of attachments coming through and aggressive scanning where the ESA may be pushed a bit more than we'd suggest with lower email throughput, but the type of email vastly differing. 

There are many factors to consider.

Thank you,
Matthew