Views
Helpful
Replies

ESA: Delivery Status Down

Mady
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I have here a screenshot of ESA Monitor>Delivery Status. I want to know more about UP, DOWN and UNKNOWN of latest host status. Hope you can help me why destination domain has down status and sometimes I search for outgoing delivery domain host, the domain that I searched does not appear. 

Thank you very much in advance! :)

Regards,

Mady

5 Replies 5

Libin Varghese
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mady,

The below would be a broad description for the status observed.

up Server is reachable and taking messages

down Server is either positively down e.g. "connection refused" or "no route to host" or initial SMTP conversation is timing out

unknown Unable to connect e.g. delivery is being forced through an inappropriate interface. Or the ip address of the interface is not properly NAT'ed through the firewall.

This page displays a list of the top 20, 50, or 100 recipient domains for messages delivered by the system within the last three hours.

Domain based search would not display a domain if there was no delivery attempted to that domain in the past three hours.

Thanks
Libin Varghese

Hi Libin,

Thank you for your response.

We actually have one domain that sometimes down then unknown then up. How will I check or prove that our ESA has correct configuration for that domain.

Regards,

Mady

Mady,

If you suspect delivery problems to a specific recipient host, the hoststatus command displays this information. The hoststatus command returns monitoring information about email operations relating to a specific recipient host. The command requires that you enter the domain of the host information to be returned. DNS information stored in the AsyncOS cache and the last error returned from the recipient host is also given.

I would review DCID (delivery connections) for the domain to determine the errors observed.

grep "DCID.*domain.com" mail_logs

From the ESA configuration the destination IP to deliver to is selected using the DNS servers (if no SMTP route is set for the domain explicitly).

There could be various reasons for the delivery connection to fail, troubleshooting steps would include settings up domain debug logs (under System Administration -> Log Subscription) and a packet capture to the destination server IP (under Help and Support -> Packet Capture).

Thanks

Libin Varghese

Hi Libin,

Thank you for your inputs. :)

We tried to send a test mail to that domain but the it did not appear on message tracking. I dont know if this is relevant to its delivery status. 

Thanks,

Mady

Mady,

It usually takes a few minutes for the message tracking logs to display, if its been a while I would recommend reviewing the mail_logs for that time to see if the email came into the ESA at all.

A connection from the sending service should appear as an ICID at the time followed by the sender and recipient information.

Libin