cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ironport ESA : post reboot - dose ESA will join cluster automatically?

hardik3946
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

Setup is cluster of virtual ESAs : We have VMs to be moved on new ESX hosts, hence couple of ESAs ( from cluster of four) has to be shutdown and then same will be switched on once VM movement completes. So my question is : Does ESA joins cluster automatically once they get switched on again?  Or how it should be done.

Alternatively: to make the question more straight - if one of the ESA reboots from the cluster- will it rejoins the cluster back? Any consequences?

HD

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That is correct.

Clustering is just to copy configuration between appliances so all devices are in sync, it does not have an impact on the mail flow of the appliance.

Disconnecting an appliance from the cluster would not impact its or any other device's ability for mail processing.

- Libin V

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Libin Varghese
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Appliances in a cluster would automatically reconnect to the cluster as long as traffic for cluster communication is still allowed over the network after they are moved.

If this is a planned movement you can choose to disconnect the machine to be moved from the cluster using "clusterconfig" followed by "disconnect".

Once the movement is complete you would need to manually reconnect using "clusterconfig" followed by "reconnect".

There should be no issues in joining the machine back to the cluster after a reboot, it is designed to automatically try and reconnect unless administratively disconnected by the admin using the above steps.

Thank You!
Libin Varghese

Thanks Libin

That is helpful. I understand that 'disconnect' is just to deal with cluster membership removal and nothing to do with mail processing of that specific ESA.

HD.

That is correct.

Clustering is just to copy configuration between appliances so all devices are in sync, it does not have an impact on the mail flow of the appliance.

Disconnecting an appliance from the cluster would not impact its or any other device's ability for mail processing.

- Libin V

Thanks Libin, 

Sorry for late response. I have activity in few days and shall share my experience. 

HD

Hi Libin, 

Activity went same way as you confirmed above and was pretty smooth. I really appreciate your support.

HD. 

Glad to help.