cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Message Filter case insensitive help

Greg Muszynski
Level 1
Level 1

Need help with a simple Message Filter that skips virus scanning if a message has "MonkeyTails" in the Subject.  This should work with "monkeytails" and or "MONKEYTAILS" but it does not, it only works with "MonkeyTails".  What am I doing wrong?  I thought the (?i) makes it case insensitve

Skip_VirusCheck:

if (subject == "(?i)MonkeyTails")

{

skip-viruscheck();

}

6 Replies 6

Stephan Bayer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greg, I believe the following will work. Please let me know if this helps and mark the question as answered by using the star rating system if so. Thanks!

Skip_VirusCheck:

if(subject == "MonkeyTails" or subject == "MONKEYTAILS" or subject == "monkeytails" )

{

skip-viruscheck();

}

The engine uses Python syntax so you may want to test to see if you can get it "case insensitive" without all the ORs.

Please see:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3627784/case-insensitive-in-python

thank you Stephan that may work, but that only takes care of the three examples, and what if someone types Monkeytails or MoNkEyTaIlS etc... I need that (?i) to work to make all the veriations work

Greg,

Try

if (subject == "(?i:MonkeyTails)")

thank you Ken, I tried that but it looks like it no like it

An error occurred during processing: Invalid regular expression in header comparison: '(?i:MonkeyTails)'. 

FYI mine was enclosed in double quotes not single, but the way the error displays it is in single quotes

Hi Greg,

The initial syntax that you have provided worked perfectly for me.

This is my filter -

Num Active Valid Name

1   Y      Y   regex_filter_3

regex_filter_3: if subject == "(?i)MonkeyTails" {

quarantine("Policy");

}

This is the mail logs -

Fri Jun  7 05:38:47 2013 Info: MID 135485 Subject 'abcd monkeyTails'

Fri Jun  7 05:38:47 2013 Info: MID 135485 ready 222 bytes from

Fri Jun  7 05:38:47 2013 Info: MID 135485 matched all recipients for per-recipient policy DEFAULT in the inbound table

Fri Jun  7 05:38:47 2013 Info: ICID 16666 close

Fri Jun  7 05:38:47 2013 Info: MID 135485 interim verdict using engine: CASE spam negative

Fri Jun  7 05:38:47 2013 Info: MID 135485 using engine: CASE spam negative

Fri Jun  7 05:38:47 2013 Info: MID 135485 interim AV verdict using Sophos CLEAN

Fri Jun  7 05:38:47 2013 Info: MID 135485 antivirus negative

Fri Jun  7 05:38:47 2013 Info: MID 135485 Outbreak Filters: verdict negative

Fri Jun  7 05:38:47 2013 Info: MID 135485 quarantined to "Policy" (message filter:regex_filter_3)

May be give it a try again ?

Also, let us know what version are you on.

PS:

Ignore the dates, I have manually set to a future date.

Regards Karthik

Robert Sherwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The token (?i) that indicates the rest of the regular expression should be treated in case-insensitive mode. Placing this token at the beginning of a case-sensitive regular expression results in a completely insensitive match.

For example, the regular expression “(?i)williams-int.com” matches WILLIAMS-INT.COM, williams-int.com, and wIllIamS-iNt.com.