cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

moved to a new IP now we have a poor rating ?!?!?

kiouiapps
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

So we moved one of our application that was growing to it's own server.

That application manages feedback notifications on ebay and we send more than a few notifications

however our reputation is POOR on that IP only and we have a hard time delivering messages.

What can be done at this point ?

We DRIM, SPF, WHITELIST anywhere we can, .....

9 Replies 9

Andreas Mueller
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Jean,

basically the best advise you'd have to follow is that you you keep your output via that IP clean from spam, and that all DNS details are correct (MX record, revers lookup, hostname matches the lookup)

Also, is that IP used exlusively for email delivery or as an MX record, or is it part of a network range? Is it shared with other applications or mailservers?

Regards,

Andreas

yes, our IPs are dedicated (not shared, we are the only one on the server)

We are staying away from spam but I think that because of our "sudden" high volume to this new IP due to moving our app there that we are falsely identified as poor

I am also confused as to the "Fwd/Rev DNS match" not be checked for IP 69.30.234.26

you can see clearly bellow that the PTR and rPTR match, ... .????

MX Record: yes Checked (duh )

exclusive IP yes checked

openDKIM signing checked

SPF 1 and 2 checked

hostname matches the PTR

rPTR matches PTR

so I am really at a loss here. What am I missing ?

; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> mx4.kioui-apps.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 43495
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mx4.kioui-apps.com.            IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mx4.kioui-apps.com.     3310    IN      A       69.30.234.26

;; Query time: 29 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Mon Apr  8 17:53:17 2013
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 52

root@mx4:/home/kifeedback.kioui-apps.com/Schedulers# nslookup 69.30.234.26
Server:         8.8.8.8
Address:        8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
26.234.30.69.in-addr.arpa       name = mx4.kioui-apps.com.

Hello Jean,

A little info about SBRS below that may help.

SenderBase Reputation Score

SBRS Score Range

SBRS is a "reputation score" between -10 to +10.            [-10,10]

-10 is very bad

+10 is very good

A score of 0 indicates there has not been enough traffic to generate a reputation score.

Neutral Reputation (SBRS Score: None)

Your IP address or domain is within acceptable parameters. However, your email traffic may still be filtered or blocked.

Typical senders in this category include low-volume senders, senders with asymmetrical or unique sending patterns, or senders who have had problems in the past who are transitioning to a Good reputation score. Senders with Neutral reputation scores should have no problems delivering mail to most places on the Internet.

Good Reputation

Little or no threat activity has been observed from your IP address or domain. Your email traffic is not likely to be filtered or blocked, allowing for trouble-free email delivery worldwide.

Poor Reputation

*Your email server or a computer in your network may be infected with malware and may be used to send spam.

*You may have an insecure network which is allowing other parties to use your network to send spam.

*Your email server may be misconfigured and might relay spam.

*You may be utilizing a dynamic IP that is not allowed to relay email directly to the Internet.

SenderBase is not a Blacklist

While many networks use SenderBase as a means for assessing their email traffic, SenderBase does not block email. If your email is being blocked or you feel it is not being delivered, please check with your ISP.

What can I do to improve my reputation?

Once you have taken the necessary steps to fix any known issues, your reputation score should automatically improve within a short time frame.

In general, once all issues have been addressed (fixed), reputation recovery can take anywhere from a few hours to just over one week to improve, depending on the specifics of the situation, and how much email volume the IP sends. Complaint ratios determine the amount of risk for receiving mail from an IP, so logically, reputation improves as the ratio of legitimate mails increases with respect to the number of complaints. Speeding up the process is not really possible. SenderBase Reputation is an automated system over which we have very little manual influence.

---

Source:

http://forum.spamcop.net/scwik/SenderBaseReputationScore

More Information:

*http://www.senderbase.org/help/sbrs

*http://www.senderbase.org/help/blocked

*https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2141563

Hi,

I understand and had read that however that does not explain this part:

I am confused as to the "Fwd/Rev DNS match" not be checked for IP 69.30.234.26

you can see clearly bellow that the PTR and rPTR match, ... .????

MX Record: yes Checked (duh )

exclusive IP yes checked

openDKIM signing checked

SPF 1 and 2 checked

hostname matches the PTR

rPTR matches PTR

so I am really at a loss here. What am I missing ?

; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> mx4.kioui-apps.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 43495
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mx4.kioui-apps.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mx4.kioui-apps.com. 3310 IN A 69.30.234.26

;; Query time: 29 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Mon Apr 8 17:53:17 2013
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 52

root@mx4:/home/kifeedback.kioui-apps.com/Schedulers# nslookup 69.30.234.26
Server: 8.8.8.8
Address: 8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
26.234.30.69.in-addr.arpa name = mx4.kioui-apps.com.

can I please get help on this ?

Jean-Charles,

It seems you have to related discussions in our forum. The other one is:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3908220

The part you are asking information about, in this discussion, can be found in the above discusing (link).

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Valter

Hi,

I am sorry I am comming back to this issue.

You helped me with the DNS/rDNS that was not correctly reported on this IP.

I believe there is a problem with the POOR rating as well.

I realize that everyone with a POOR rating must say the same however there are clearly problems.

for the past 3 days I sent all my emails not with that IP 69.30.234.26 but with our other IP 108.61.11.211 (where the app originaly was before I moved it to that new server)

and then reverted back today.

The first thing is that the IP 69.30.234.26 still reported an amount of traffic of 1.8 which does not amount to the data sent since all the mail was going out of 108.61.11.211

This does not make sense.

And while everyone with a POOR rating might say the same thing, since the data was obviously not correct on that IP with the DNS/rDNS you helped me on (the other thread) then I am really questioning the data collected and reported on this IP 69.30.234.26.

Even if the emails were considered as SPAM for the past 2 days on IP 69.30.234.26 there was 0 traffic for Friday and Saturday so at least the "Volume" is not accurate. so bad data on rDNS, bad data on volume, ..... bad data on POOR rating?

And the further most interesting information is that all our "marketing" (legitimate but the area where false positive could be reported) are all on 108.61.11.211.

So I am really questioning all that data. on IP 69.30.234.26

PLEASE HELP

Hello Jean-Charles,

note that Senderbase is not just a on/off switch, to  recover from a bad reputation definitely needs its time, and two days are definitely not sufficient, especially if your score made it down to the Poor threshold, which in fact requires a lot of spam to have been sent out. And hopefully you understand that getting a better reputation takes a bit more than just wait and do nothing, it's a bit like normal life.

Also I would like to mention something different, as this is mainly a user community, you are encouraged to contact support directly if you believe that a service is not working properly. While some of us in support are happy to help out here with our time and knowledge,  cases like this often require further escalation, and hopefully you understand that is nothing that we can do here. Of course, once the problem has been solved, you are also encouraged to leave a note here about the solution, as this may help other users in the future.

Hope that helps,

Andreas

Well, .......

does that concern other users that the information is not accurately reported ?

Poof Poof a little magic and my IP now properly reports as GOOD (and it didn't take a long time to "recover" from the improperly reported data )

but what do I know.

Regardless, thanks to all that helped me, I am glad the problem is fixed

Jean-Charles:

The discrepancy with the IP has been addressed and the IP is now scoring a Good SenderBase reputation. We have also updated the rDNS for the IP.

Regards,

SenderBase Support