cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NIC Teaming with Management Interface

morgancrocker
Level 1
Level 1

I am configuring a pair of IronPort C370s, which have 4 network interfaces each.  They are displayed as Data 1, Data 2, Data 3, and Management.  According to the data sheet for the C370,it has 4  Gigabit Ethernet interfaces.

Why is it not possible to configure NIC Teaming with the Management interface?  In my configuration I would prefer to be able to have NIC Teaming on interfaces in two different subnets, one pair used for communicating with the outside world via a firewall, and one for communication with internal networks.  I would have an IP used for management on the subnet used for internal communication.  To me, having redundant links for all interfaces that are used for mail flow would be more important than having a separate link for Management.

If the interfaces are all the same physical hardware, I would like the freedom to configure all 4 interfaces in the same way, not have one designated as a Management interface and have features such as NIC Teaming unavailable.  Does anybody else think this would be useful?  Any thoughts on why the OS would not allow this, or why it would be a bad idea?

Thanks,

Morgan

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: