Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

outgoing mail issue with ms outlook client

hi i have a HAT over a private listener with RELAY mail flow policy and my clients with microsoft outlook can RELAY messages without problems.

New SMTP ICID 64494 interface Data 2 (XXXXXX) address XXXXXXX reverse dns host XXXXXXX verified no

Thu Aug 18 17:29:01 2011 Info: ICID 64494 RELAY SG RELAYLIST match SBRS not enabled

Thu Aug 18 17:29:02 2011 Info: Start MID 49 ICID 64494

but when my clients check in microsoft outlook "my outgoing smtp server need authentication" they can´t RELAY messages

Thu Aug 18 17:25:59 2011 Info: New SMTP ICID 64474 interface Data 2 (XXXXXXX) address XXXXXX reverse dns host XXXXXX verified no

Thu Aug 18 17:25:59 2011 Info: ICID 64474 RELAY SG RELAYLIST match SBRS not enabled

Thu Aug 18 17:25:59 2011 Info: ICID 64474 lost

Thu Aug 18 17:25:59 2011 Info: ICID 64474 close

Why this happend? I think that RELAY is all I need for this work.

3 Replies 3

Martin Eppler
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Can you please verify if SMTP Authentication is set to required in the Mail Flow Policy of the RELAYLIST Sender Group? If set to required, it will enforce SMTP AUTH...

Thanks and regards,

Martin

---

Sent while being on the road. Please excuse any typos and short answers.

The Mail Flow Policy is set to default (off) in SMTP Authentication and the listener has "none" in SMTP Auth profile

The picture show the error in the client

Hello Geovanny,

the error message shows that the Outlook client tried to authenticate first before sending a message, yet as authentication was not available (not configured on the ESA), Outlook did not continue. Basically, all you'd need is to set up authentication for the RELAY mail flow policy  as already described by Martin. However, when doing that keep in mind that once you have enabled authentication in your RELAY policy, no one using this policy will be able to relay messages without authentication any more, so make sure this gets properly communicated prior. You'd also decide to go with multiple Relay policies for different senders (i.e. a sendergroup for your Exchange servers withouth authentication, anybody else with authentication).

Hope that helps,

Andreas