cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Outlook Plugin 7.3 and Java issues

johnsmith1000
Level 1
Level 1

The Plug-in admin guide says Jave 1.6 or higher is required. We have Java 1.7 update 25  which is the latest one , the plugin still installs the 1.6. Any reason why it does not just accept 1.7 already installed?

This will be problematic for us in rolling out the plugins and maintaining the java version.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Sherwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

John -

I re-ran through the 7.3 install on my virtual desktop.  I uninstalled my Java 7.25 version - and re-ran the install.

You can see on the re-install - it does prompt for the Java pre-req install...

I chose not to - I exited out - and revisited Java download for 7.25...

Installed...

And then continued again to re-install 7.3 plug-in...

No prompt for pre-req installs...

After - revisited the control panel - and Programs - to assure that only Java 7.25 is the only one loaded.

Plug-in loads and runs as expected.

I would suggest you revisit the desktop/end-user in question - and uninstall all previous Java versions, and do a clean install of Java, and keep the installation paths as default (if possible).

There is not any usage of the plug-in to step through and install Java 6 if Java 7 is already installed.  You should not be prompted during a standard/non-customized installation of the plug-in.

Regards,

Robert

Content Security Technical Services - RTP, NC

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Robert Sherwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

John -

I re-ran through the 7.3 install on my virtual desktop.  I uninstalled my Java 7.25 version - and re-ran the install.

You can see on the re-install - it does prompt for the Java pre-req install...

I chose not to - I exited out - and revisited Java download for 7.25...

Installed...

And then continued again to re-install 7.3 plug-in...

No prompt for pre-req installs...

After - revisited the control panel - and Programs - to assure that only Java 7.25 is the only one loaded.

Plug-in loads and runs as expected.

I would suggest you revisit the desktop/end-user in question - and uninstall all previous Java versions, and do a clean install of Java, and keep the installation paths as default (if possible).

There is not any usage of the plug-in to step through and install Java 6 if Java 7 is already installed.  You should not be prompted during a standard/non-customized installation of the plug-in.

Regards,

Robert

Content Security Technical Services - RTP, NC

Thanks for the detailed steps, Robert.

Perhaps the above is the expected behaviour, but during our initial testing, in few cases we ran into the case I described above. In both cases, after we manually removed all Java instaleld and instaleld a clean copy, everything worked. But unfortunatelly with limited staff we cannot risk these issues in our production environenment.

For now, reluctanly, we decided not to deploy the plugin (which has other side-effects as we have to rely on users to type the right encryption flag on subject lines).  We may come back to this in a future time.

Regards.

OK sir.  Sorry to hear this.

I will mark this thread as answered.

Regards,

Robert

Email Content Security Technical Services - RTP, NC

Hi John,

There is another option to avoid users having to type in a "magic word" to trigger encryption.  If they are Outlook users they can select the option Sensitivity and choose Confidential, that adds a header to the email Sensitivity: Confidential if I remember correctly.  You can use that at the gateway to trigger encryption.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: