cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Spam quarantine - safelist/blacklist increase

pbabu6001
Level 1
Level 1

One of my user reported that he is unable to whitelist more email addresses on his spam quarantine safelist/blacklist. Could you please how can I allow him to do it?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Libin Varghese
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The size limit of the SLBL can be adjusted through the web interface of the ESA or SMA.

From the ESA: Monitor > Quarantines > End-User Safelist/Blocklist (Spam Quarantine) > Edit Settings

From the SMA: Management Appliance > Centralized Services > Spam Quarantine > End-User Safelist/Blocklist > Edit Settings

Note: Currently, the maximum limit is 500. This is the maximum number of addresses or domains for each list, for each recipient. If you allow a large number of list entries per user, system performance might be adversely affected.

Thank You!

Libin Varghese

View solution in original post

After you bump the limit you should look at what the user is Safelisting and blocking.  Often they are using "release and safelist" on marketing/bulk mail that has addresses that look like this "randomstring-user@domain.com" , and NONE are actually ever going to be hit again since that is part of how the lists do bounce and response tracking.  You can wildcard those to cut down the number of entries.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Libin Varghese
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The size limit of the SLBL can be adjusted through the web interface of the ESA or SMA.

From the ESA: Monitor > Quarantines > End-User Safelist/Blocklist (Spam Quarantine) > Edit Settings

From the SMA: Management Appliance > Centralized Services > Spam Quarantine > End-User Safelist/Blocklist > Edit Settings

Note: Currently, the maximum limit is 500. This is the maximum number of addresses or domains for each list, for each recipient. If you allow a large number of list entries per user, system performance might be adversely affected.

Thank You!

Libin Varghese

I am going to increase "Maximum List Items per user" from 50 to 75. So, how can I check whether diskquota is sufficient for this increase? Also, am I going to face any performance issues?

Disk quota won't be an issue (the file is tiny...)

and performance won't be an issue, you're only allowing a few more... You might have issues if you allow 500...

Philosophical question: should the majority of the entries in such a list be black or white?

(Yes, I know: it depends.)

We run a dedicated Incoming Mail Policy for any mailing list that doesn't appear to be abusive. There are certain technical criteria for membership...

After you bump the limit you should look at what the user is Safelisting and blocking.  Often they are using "release and safelist" on marketing/bulk mail that has addresses that look like this "randomstring-user@domain.com" , and NONE are actually ever going to be hit again since that is part of how the lists do bounce and response tracking.  You can wildcard those to cut down the number of entries.