Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade guidance of SMA - AsyncOS to 10.1.0-052

pbabu6001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Support team,

I am going to upgrade our SMA server to 10.1.0-052 from 9.6.0-051 and there are 4 ESA's are centralised to this device.

Having below questions:

1. What happens to mail_logs coming from ESA's to SMA when it is restarting?

2. SMA has 4GB RAM and would like to know does it sufficient to upgrade?

3. Can we upgrade from CLI or GUI - which is recommended? Many thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Libin Varghese
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

1. mail_logs are not centralized so they are stored on the individual ESA's. Centralized services include quarantines, reporting and tracking which would be held on the ESA's for the duration SMA is unavailable.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/content-security-management-appliance/117807-technote-esa-00.html

2. SMA is not impacted by any performance issues based on available RAM currently so 4GB should be sufficient.

3. You can upgrade using either GUI or CLI, I personally prefer CLI as it would display error details in case upgrade fails for any reason.

- Libin V

View solution in original post

Complete the needed questions for saving current configuration and approve the reboot when the upgrade is applied.

No other steps should be needed.

You could run "version" command to confirm RAID status is "Optimal" and ensure no scheduled backups are in progress using "backupconfig".

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Libin Varghese
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

1. mail_logs are not centralized so they are stored on the individual ESA's. Centralized services include quarantines, reporting and tracking which would be held on the ESA's for the duration SMA is unavailable.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/content-security-management-appliance/117807-technote-esa-00.html

2. SMA is not impacted by any performance issues based on available RAM currently so 4GB should be sufficient.

3. You can upgrade using either GUI or CLI, I personally prefer CLI as it would display error details in case upgrade fails for any reason.

- Libin V

Hi Libin,

1. As per your answers, the centralized services held on the ESA's when SMA is unavailable. Also, I would like to know what happens after SMA came up and working?

2. I am getting the error message as "404-Page Not found" http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/content-security-management-appliance/117807-technote-esa-00.html 

3. As I would like to upgrade from CLI, could you please provide me the upgrade steps.

Many thanks.

1. Once the SMA is available the data would be sent to the SMA automatically.

2. The link I shared does not appear to be working today. I'll get that checked.

When an SMA is offline or unreachable, the ESA begins to queue reporting data. The ESA by default retains 100 files, each with a 15-minute duration. Essentially, the ESA retains data for the current 1,500 minutes (15 x 100), which is equivalent to 25 hours. If the SMA is down for 30 hours, then you loose the reporting data for the first 5 hours (30 hours - 25 hours).

Similarly, when the SMA is offline or unreachable, the ESA begins to queue tracking data. The ESA retains 60 files, each with a three-minute duration. Therefore, the ESA retains the data for the past 180 minutes (60 x 3). Any tracking data that is not retrieved from the ESA and is older than three hours is lost.

3. Upgrade instructions are available below:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/email-security-appliance/118547-technote-esa-00.html

1. Run the upgrade command.
  2. Choose an option for DOWNLOADINSTALL.
  3. Select AsyncOS 10.1.0 build 037 upgrade For Management, 2017-01-08. This release is for General Deployment.

What are the next steps? 

Also, do I need to take any actions before upgrading of SMA?

Complete the needed questions for saving current configuration and approve the reboot when the upgrade is applied.

No other steps should be needed.

You could run "version" command to confirm RAID status is "Optimal" and ensure no scheduled backups are in progress using "backupconfig".

Thank you so much for your valuable help on this.

How can I download upgrade image now and install later? as there are 2 options

1. DOWNLOADINSTALL

2. DOWNLOAD.

My question regards to 2nd option.

Hello,

Download will provide you with the ability to download an AsyncOS image and then go back later on and install it. Downloadinstall will force you to go through the upgrade steps at that moment.

Thanks!

-Dennis M.

Hello,

I have an upgrade available to AsyncOS 10.1.0-52 but i want to know what are the vulnerabilities that cover.

I have the version 10.1.0-037.

Thanks for your help.

Andres Drago

You would need to review the release notes for the version you would like to upgrade to.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/security/content-security-management-appliance/products-release-notes-list.html

The release notes also contain a link to the bug search tool that can be used to perform a search based on the version.

Regards

Libin Varghese 

Thanks for the information!