cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What files are included in the file type "Java" in filter actions?

daniel larsen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am looking to block inbound attachments that contain any type of Java file, and I am looking to use the "Java" file type as opposed to a regex statement that matches every file type:

• .java
  • .jar
  • .js
  • .jsx
  • .jse
  • .job

I've looked in the manual, it does not specify. Does anyone know if using this file type includes all these file extensions? Thanks! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mathew Huynh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Daniel,

For the list of supported 'filetypes' which the ESA should be able to identify is when you click on attachment-filetypes on the content filter, the drop down would give a general classification as well as the list of supported extension.

If you do not see the extension within the list here, then the suggested workaround is to use regex matching for the extension file names.

attachment file info -> filename -> contains -> (?i)(\.(java|jar|js|jsx|jse|job))

Regards,

Matthew

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mathew Huynh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Daniel,

For the list of supported 'filetypes' which the ESA should be able to identify is when you click on attachment-filetypes on the content filter, the drop down would give a general classification as well as the list of supported extension.

If you do not see the extension within the list here, then the suggested workaround is to use regex matching for the extension file names.

attachment file info -> filename -> contains -> (?i)(\.(java|jar|js|jsx|jse|job))

Regards,

Matthew

Thank you for the reply. Does the use of regex to match multiple file types tax the device more than using file types? 

Hello Daniel,

I've never really noticed any issues with the filter rule provided above for lab tests as well as recommendations to other users (this is the type of filter syntax i'd suggest over running multiple single conditions).

But if the regex syntax is overly complex and will be done on ALL emails, then yes usually it would tax more resources, but this syntax is very simple so it should be fine.

Regards,

Matthew