cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Preventing Lsass Dump with Cisco Secure Endpoint

Paladin
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco Secure Endpoint flags Lsass dump as Cloud IOC. EDR tool did not stop the dump, most likely because Windows native tools were used. I have ticketing in place to alert on the event. Does anybody know how do I blacklist the activity(command line in the snip below)? 

dump.png

Capture123.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wojciech Cecot
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Paladin,

while you have System Process Protection engine enabled, Cisco Secure Endpoint most likely stopped lsass dump, even though it didn't report it to AMP console. I have quickly checked that in my lab:

-- when Secure Endpoints is enabled - lsass.dmp file has 0KB
-- when Secure Ednpoints is disabled - lsass.dmp file is expected memory dump.

To confirm that, here is snippet from Secure Endpoint logs (sfc.exe.log) when it blocks memory dump with mentioned command (you need Secure Endpoints debugs enabled to see that):

Aug 25 14:30:02 [6988]: SDEventHandler::HandleSDBlockEvent: src_pid: [7912] src_path: [\\?\C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe] mod_path: [\\?\C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe] region_type: [0x1000000] victim_pid: [712] victim_path: [\\?\C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe] SF: [0xF] RF: [0xF]

-Wojciech

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Wojciech Cecot
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Paladin,

while you have System Process Protection engine enabled, Cisco Secure Endpoint most likely stopped lsass dump, even though it didn't report it to AMP console. I have quickly checked that in my lab:

-- when Secure Endpoints is enabled - lsass.dmp file has 0KB
-- when Secure Ednpoints is disabled - lsass.dmp file is expected memory dump.

To confirm that, here is snippet from Secure Endpoint logs (sfc.exe.log) when it blocks memory dump with mentioned command (you need Secure Endpoints debugs enabled to see that):

Aug 25 14:30:02 [6988]: SDEventHandler::HandleSDBlockEvent: src_pid: [7912] src_path: [\\?\C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe] mod_path: [\\?\C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe] region_type: [0x1000000] victim_pid: [712] victim_path: [\\?\C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe] SF: [0xF] RF: [0xF]

-Wojciech

Thank you for your response! 

Troja007
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello @Paladin,
some info about the Cloud IOC. This engine is processing file activity, network activity, command line activity and process activity in the backend. So Cloud IOCs will never block directly on the endpoint. But, Cloud IOCs can be used to trigger Post Infection tasks like isolating the endpoint from the backend, generating a forensic snapshot and others.

Behavioral Protection Engine is able to actively block complex attack scenarios on the endpoint, this means bringing Cloud detections to endpoint protection.
As @Wojciech Cecot explained, you may check your endpoint to see if SPP Engine blocked the LSASS dump.

Forgot to mention, if the CloudIOC is generated by a legitimate application, we will provide Cloud IOC exclusions in future releases of Secure Endpoint.

Greetings,
Thorsten

I am having THIS ISSUE with a legitimate application - Qualys scans.  HOW do I WHITELIST THIS?