Views
Helpful
Replies

FindIT Probe device limit

stimmerman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got a site with 61 SG300 series switches in the same management network.

Is the limit of 50 devices a hard or soft limit of the probe? If so, can I add 2 probes on the same subnet?

Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The limit of 50 devices per probe is a soft limit.  We don't have anything in the probe software that explicitly limits you to 50, but 50 is the number that we test and support.  So managing more than 50 devices with a single probe could be a headache if you have a problem later than you need to log a support case for.  Worst case, the support engineer might need to ask you to remove devices from the network in order to test/verify the problem.

So that being said, you are not talking about a very large increase over the supported limit, and the impact of increasing the number of devices really comes down to resource utilisation - specifically RAM and CPU on the Probe.  So I would not expect to have any real problems managing 61 devices, and worst case, you could allocate more RAM and maybe an additional CPU core to the Probe if you are seeing high CPU or memory use.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Dave.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The limit of 50 devices per probe is a soft limit.  We don't have anything in the probe software that explicitly limits you to 50, but 50 is the number that we test and support.  So managing more than 50 devices with a single probe could be a headache if you have a problem later than you need to log a support case for.  Worst case, the support engineer might need to ask you to remove devices from the network in order to test/verify the problem.

So that being said, you are not talking about a very large increase over the supported limit, and the impact of increasing the number of devices really comes down to resource utilisation - specifically RAM and CPU on the Probe.  So I would not expect to have any real problems managing 61 devices, and worst case, you could allocate more RAM and maybe an additional CPU core to the Probe if you are seeing high CPU or memory use.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Dave.

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

And to answer the second part of your question: Running two probes won't help unless you have a very specific network design.  Both probes will do their best to discover the entire network and all the devices in it, so you would just wind up with both probes managing 61 devices each.  It is possible to configure the network such that each probe only sees a portion of it, but in the long run, that is probably going to be too much trouble to maintain.

Longer term we hope to be able to give you some more flexibility in dealing with this type of situation, but that is the way it works today.

Cheers,

Dave. 

Hi Dave,

Thank you for answering my question! The deployment is only temporary for a non-profit conference for about a week, so i'll take it :)

Regards,
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: