cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco FindIT Questions

parkernathan
Level 1
Level 1

I setup Cisco FindIT using the VirtualBox instance tonight to prepare for our transition to a Cisco RV345, Cisco CBW240AC, and Cisco SPA122 ATA. I have a handful of Getting Started questions to ensure I am getting settled into Cisco FindIT correctly:

1. I will be using the free instance of it and not purchasing a license for it since I only need to manage three Cisco devices in it (and only two I will be fully managing in it, the router and the WAP). I registered FindIT with my Smart Account token, but it looks like I shouldn't have done that, since I am now receiving a License Exceeded error message (even though I am not managing any devices yet). Do I need to remove the token and run it in unregistered mode? Will that clear the error and allow me to manage my two-three devices in FindIT?

2. When I was running the FindIT setup from the command line in the VM, a message appeared stating that some FindIT packages need updating. Do those need to be done from a command in the command line, or do I need to update them in the GUI?

3. When I launch the FindIT tool on my Mac and sign into my Cisco.com account for the Cisco Active Advisor features, I am receiving incorrect username and password. It is the username and password I use at Cisco.com. What do I need to do to login to my Cisco.com account in this tool correctly?

4. Since I'm using the Network Manager/Probe VM combination, is the Probe inside the Network Manager interface, or is it on a separate login/user interface from the Network Manager?

Thanks!

Nathan Parker
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nathan,

Let me try and answer your questions in order:

1. With only three devices, you will be able to run in evaluation mode indefinitely. You are right in thinking that you should not register the manager with your smart account in this case. You can use the Deregister... action on the System > License page to disconnect the manager from the smart account and it will return to evaluation mode.

2. These are not actually FindIT packages, but rather are operating system packages, and they can be updated using the Ubuntu package management tools. In most cases, this is as simple as entering the following commands:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade --autoremove

The first command checks for the latest updates, while the second command applies the updates and cleans up any packages that are no longer required. You will most likely be prompted to enter your password when you execute the first command as it requires elevated privileges to operate. You can find more detail about package management in Ubuntu at https://help.ubuntu.com/16.04/serverguide/package-management.html.

3. Are you talking about the FindIT Network Discovery Utility, and not the FindIT Network Manager web UI? Assuming you are, you will actually be prompted for credentials at two different stages. The first time is the first time you open the utility in a particular browser. That prompt is for your local account on your PC and is used to maintain settings and privacy between multiple users of FindIT on a single system. Then, if you want to upload information about discovered devices to Cisco Active Advisor, you will need to provide the credentials you use to log on to cisco.com. Note that for the CAA upload to work, you must have logged on to the the CAA user interface at least once. You can do this at https://ciscoactiveadvisor.com/ux/app/#login.

4. There is no user interface for the probe when it is hosted within a manager VM with version 2.0 and above. You can do everything you need to do from the manager UI. After release 2.0, the probe UI is only used for associating the probe with the manager, and when the probe is hosted in the manager VM, it can be associated automatically.

One more comment in addition to answering your questions. You mentioned that you have a CBW240AC access point. Because that product has only just been released, the current version of FindIT Network Manager does not fully support it, and not all the FindIT features will be available. Full support will come with the 2.2 release in the middle of the year.

Hope this helps a bit. If you have any more questions, just let us know.

Cheers,
Dave.

View solution in original post

The system requirements for the desktop scanner can be found here: https://help.ciscoactiveadvisor.com/support/solutions/articles/13000018865-what-are-the-minimum-requirements-for-the-cisco-active-advisor-desktop-scanner-

Looks like pretty much any recent java will do the trick, so I'd suggesting grabbing the latest release from java.com.

All the best,

Dave.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

parkernathan
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the update message

Nathan Parker

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nathan,

Let me try and answer your questions in order:

1. With only three devices, you will be able to run in evaluation mode indefinitely. You are right in thinking that you should not register the manager with your smart account in this case. You can use the Deregister... action on the System > License page to disconnect the manager from the smart account and it will return to evaluation mode.

2. These are not actually FindIT packages, but rather are operating system packages, and they can be updated using the Ubuntu package management tools. In most cases, this is as simple as entering the following commands:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade --autoremove

The first command checks for the latest updates, while the second command applies the updates and cleans up any packages that are no longer required. You will most likely be prompted to enter your password when you execute the first command as it requires elevated privileges to operate. You can find more detail about package management in Ubuntu at https://help.ubuntu.com/16.04/serverguide/package-management.html.

3. Are you talking about the FindIT Network Discovery Utility, and not the FindIT Network Manager web UI? Assuming you are, you will actually be prompted for credentials at two different stages. The first time is the first time you open the utility in a particular browser. That prompt is for your local account on your PC and is used to maintain settings and privacy between multiple users of FindIT on a single system. Then, if you want to upload information about discovered devices to Cisco Active Advisor, you will need to provide the credentials you use to log on to cisco.com. Note that for the CAA upload to work, you must have logged on to the the CAA user interface at least once. You can do this at https://ciscoactiveadvisor.com/ux/app/#login.

4. There is no user interface for the probe when it is hosted within a manager VM with version 2.0 and above. You can do everything you need to do from the manager UI. After release 2.0, the probe UI is only used for associating the probe with the manager, and when the probe is hosted in the manager VM, it can be associated automatically.

One more comment in addition to answering your questions. You mentioned that you have a CBW240AC access point. Because that product has only just been released, the current version of FindIT Network Manager does not fully support it, and not all the FindIT features will be available. Full support will come with the 2.2 release in the middle of the year.

Hope this helps a bit. If you have any more questions, just let us know.

Cheers,
Dave.

Thanks for the info. Here's a followup on it all:

1. The deregister put it back in evaluation mode and cleared that error, so I should be set there. If anything else comes up, I'll holler back, but so far so good.

2. Thanks for the info there. I thought those were Linux updates. I ran sudo apt upgrade --autoremove, and that cleared that message. I also managed to update FindIT itself through the GUI, so I should be all up-to-date. I have worked across various Linux distros in the past (Ubuntu, CentOS, Fedora, RHEL, etc), so I am pretty familiar with the command line.

3. I am referring to the Discovery Utility. When I logged into the CAA UI, that cleared the error I have having there. CAA should all be setup as well for me to use moving forward.

4. Great to know. Thanks!

On the CBW240AC, I don't own one yet (since it hasn't shipped yet), but I'll be picking one up end of April. I'll be making the full transition to Cisco equipment end of April, so I have some extra time. Also, I can easily manage the WAP from its own GUI until the remaining features get added to FindIT. FindIT isn't a requirement for my office since I'm familiar with managing Cisco gear through their own GUIs, but I'm taking FindIT for a spin to familiarize myself with it so if I need to learn how to use it in larger deployments, I'll have hands-on experience with it.

One side question: I downloaded Cisco AA Desktop Scanner for Mac. My Mac is prompting me to install a JDK (Java) to run it. What version of JDK do I need to download from Java.com? It's been a while since I've installed Java on a Mac.

I am so looking forward to getting moved back to Cisco networking equipment. Our ISP took over management of our network a while back and moved us to Cambium Networks equipment, and the experience hasn't been great. I can't wait to be back in the driver's seat managing out network again and back on Cisco equipment. Already the support I've received from Cisco has been top-notch. 

Nathan Parker

The system requirements for the desktop scanner can be found here: https://help.ciscoactiveadvisor.com/support/solutions/articles/13000018865-what-are-the-minimum-requirements-for-the-cisco-active-advisor-desktop-scanner-

Looks like pretty much any recent java will do the trick, so I'd suggesting grabbing the latest release from java.com.

All the best,

Dave.

The latest version of Java for Mac from Java.com worked for me and enabled it to load successfully. Thanks again for your assistance!

Nathan Parker

Happy to help.  All the best!