cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA redundancy with 3750 stack

jlmickens
Level 1
Level 1

I will be installing a new ASA 5510 firewall on our SIP vlan to separate our voice traffic from the rest of the traffic.  I'm trying to decide whether or not I should go with an active/active setup or an active/standby.  Any insight on the best way to set this up?  This install is going in from scratch, and I am going to be connecting to a 3750 switch stack.  Should I pair up a link from each switch to each 5510 using etherchannels?  Should I use 8.3 or 8.4?  I could use some help figuring out the best way to go.  Most of the docs I've been able to find say it depends on this, that, or the other.  I basically have the choice here, being that the use is pretty much dedicated.

2 Replies 2

Maykol Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I would say definetly Active/Standby, going to Active/Active will make you have to run the firewalls on multiple context, that way unfortunately you will loose the ability to do QoS... lets face it, Voice with QoS can be a problem in the future.

Choosing between versions, I think you should go for the latest 8.3, it is very stable and that pretty much rules out the etherchannel since it is only supported on 8.4

If you need more technical details you can always reach one of the sales engineers, they will be able to assist with design ideas an implementations.

Mike

Mike

But 8.3 uses "Redundant links", which seems pretty much the same as etherchannels.  So you're saying 8.4 isn't stable?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card