cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM Help. History Veiwing

Kyle McIntosh
Level 1
Level 1

Running an ASA 5500, and using ASDM to connect.

I need to view the historical metrics in graph form for traffic overview, that is shown on the firewall dashboard.

I have enabled historical data, but all I see the 5 minute intervals.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Once you enable asdm history, the asa will start to keep some historical metrics in ram. If you choose a graph from the monitoring tab, there will be several historical view options.

Ex:

- Go to: Monitoring > Interface Graphs > Outside

- Add one of the Available Graphs to your Selected Graphs.

- When you click 'Show Graphs' a popup window will have 2 tabs: Graph, Table.

- At the bottom, you will see several views...

Last 10 minutes, data every 10 sec

Last 60 minutes, data every 1 min

Last 12 hours, data every 12 min

Last 5 days, data every 2 hours

All this data is stored in RAM because there is limited flash space and no hard disk. This means that each of these tables contains data that is constantly being purged and replaced with newer data.

So based on what we see above, you could see a graph of data points collected every 10 seconds from the last 10 minutes. But you cannot retrieve 10 second data from 2 hours ago. Likewise, If you want to see a graph of data points taken every 1 minute from yesterday then you are out of luck.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Brendan

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

brquinn
Level 1
Level 1

If you need a long term solution for specific metrics like bit rate or interface errors, I suggest looking into an SNMP solution. This will store longer data periods permenantly on an external server.

How long did you let let the ASA run after enabling ASDM History Metrics? What version of ASA and ASDM are you running?

Can you check the output of 'show asdm history feature interface '? This should show the data baing graphed for your interface statistics for a specific interface.

Thanks,

Brendan

I understand the SNMP route, but the ASDM states that it will allow you to view the graphs in within a 5 minute, 10 minutes, 60 minute, 12 hours and 5 days.

I guess my question is, is this a viewable selection within the ASDM, of just the time revolving around a purge?

ASA 5520. ASDM 6.2 (1)

Once you enable asdm history, the asa will start to keep some historical metrics in ram. If you choose a graph from the monitoring tab, there will be several historical view options.

Ex:

- Go to: Monitoring > Interface Graphs > Outside

- Add one of the Available Graphs to your Selected Graphs.

- When you click 'Show Graphs' a popup window will have 2 tabs: Graph, Table.

- At the bottom, you will see several views...

Last 10 minutes, data every 10 sec

Last 60 minutes, data every 1 min

Last 12 hours, data every 12 min

Last 5 days, data every 2 hours

All this data is stored in RAM because there is limited flash space and no hard disk. This means that each of these tables contains data that is constantly being purged and replaced with newer data.

So based on what we see above, you could see a graph of data points collected every 10 seconds from the last 10 minutes. But you cannot retrieve 10 second data from 2 hours ago. Likewise, If you want to see a graph of data points taken every 1 minute from yesterday then you are out of luck.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Brendan

Ok, that makes sense now.

I was zigging when i should have been zagging.

Thanks.

The way to fix this is:

Go to the configuration tab of the ADSM.

Go to Device Management

Go down to advanced.

Click on History Metrics.

Tick the ADSM History Metrics box

Click apply

Done !!!!

nikhil kumar1
Level 1
Level 1

I have tried this and found it quite easy to implement. Thanks!

https://edledge.com/ea00142/ 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card