Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA 5506-X Help with AnyConnect VPN Client Connection

martini11
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new ASA 5506-X.

I would like to connect to it from my Windows PC using the Cisco VPN Client on my PC.

I did not purchase any special licenses with my 5506-X.

Are VPN connections supported to this ASA out of the box or do I need to purchase a special license?

I tried to use the AnyConnect VPN client setup Wizard but it is asking for me to upload a

"Cisco AnyConnect Client Image"

Where can I download this image so that I may upload to the ASA and complete the setup Wizard?

Thank you.

David.

3 Replies 3

shao.novon
Level 1
Level 1

First of all, you can see all kinds of licences your ASA has via commands "show version"

By default, ASA supports two freely remote access connection (any connect), IPsec VPN or SSL VPN, whatever, all count in.

Licensed features for this platform:
Maximum Physical Interfaces :    Unlimited perpetual
Maximum VLANs :                     50 perpetual
Inside Hosts :                             Unlimited perpetual
Failover :                                    Disabled perpetual
Encryption-DES :                        Enabled perpetual
Encryption-3DES-AES :              Enabled perpetual
Security Contexts :                     0 perpetual
GTP/GPRS :                               Disabled perpetual
AnyConnect Premium Peers :      2 perpetual
AnyConnect Essentials :             Disabled perpetual
Other VPN Peers :                      250 perpetual
Total VPN Peers :                       250 perpetual
Shared License :                         Disabled perpetual

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to the image you mentioned, I guess you meant it's for Win systems not others, right ?

On my ASA, it is using image "anyconnect-win-3.1.05182-k9.pkg".  And, yes, you have to upload this kind of image to your ASA via ftp/tftp tool, so, when ssl VPN client is trying connecting(http) ASA, client PC will get a pop-up prompt for downloading it.

This image can be found somewhere on CISCO official website, or from some other technical forum website, not hard to find.

Thank you is there a way to configure VPN connections to the ASA 5506-X without using

the VPN Connection Wizard and without needing to have the anyconnect-win-3.1.05182-k9.pkg

uploaded onto the ASA? I already have the Cisco VPN client on my Windows PC and am

trying to connect to my ASA using this client I already have but have not been successful.

Or, can I configure VPN using the Wizard but skip the step #4 "Client Images"  where it asks to upload the anyconnect-win-3.1.05182-k9.pkg?

Thanks.

David.

Here's some info I just noticed from some Cisco page.

" The Cisco VPN Client has reached End-of-Support status, and will be removed from theCisco.com Support site in July 2016. All previous releases (versions 3.x through 4.x) have officially been retired as of August 2015. All software downloads for Cisco VPN Client Series (all releases) have also been retired from Cisco.com.

It is recommended that users upgrade to next-generation Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Clientv4.x which supports 64-bit (x64) Windows and Windows 10.

Cisco VPN Client v5.x only supports 32-bit Windows systems. Relevant Support Documentation for the entire Cisco VPN Client series will continue to be provided below."

This means you should use "anyconnect client" as long as you want VPN Tech from Cisco, IPsec VPN; EyVPN; SSL VPN, etc.

Here's some similar instance from Cisco document library, from where you can find more.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/anyconnect-secure-mobility-client/119006-configure-anyconnect-00.html

" Without any client software", then you are talking about SLL clientless VPN, but few people tend to like it because it can just be applied in web-access-only environment.

I'm sorry can't explain much more for you, I'm just a junior learner in this field, Others may be able to answer your question. though, the most reliable way is to study it with official ASA manual, which has two thousands pages, however you can just give your focus on the VPN section.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card