cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to correctly direct traffic from ASA To IPS and display reporting

AboudMokh
Level 1
Level 1

I have ASA-5512-IPS, and i configured the asa to forward traffic to the IPS in inline mode. but i don't see anything on ips reports that indicates that there is a traffic pass. all reports are 0 in the IME software, which is not right i suppose. Is reporting in IPS/IME disabled by default ? and I have to enable it ? how ? 

anyone can help me get this right ?

here is my ASA configuration to direct traffic to IPS

class-map global-class
 match any

policy-map global_policy

class global-class
  ips inline fail-open sensor vs0

Service-policy global_policy global

Anything else should I do ?

8 Replies 8

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What does the module status show in "show module"?

ASA# sho module 

Mod  Card Type                                    Model              Serial No. 
---- -------------------------------------------- ------------------ -----------
   0 ASA 5512-X with SW, 6 GE Data, 1 GE Mgmt, AC ASA5512            
 ips ASA 5512-X IPS Security Services Processor   ASA5512-IPS        
cxsc Unknown                                      N/A                FCH1804J3AE

Mod  MAC Address Range                 Hw Version   Fw Version   Sw Version     
---- --------------------------------- ------------ ------------ ---------------
   0 18e7.282e.f082 to 18e7.282e.f089  1.0          2.1(9)8      9.1(1)
 ips 18e7.282e.f080 to 18e7.282e.f080  N/A          N/A          7.1(3)E4
cxsc 18e7.282e.f080 to 18e7.282e.f080  N/A          N/A          

Mod  SSM Application Name           Status           SSM Application Version
---- ------------------------------ ---------------- --------------------------
 ips IPS                            Up               7.1(3)E4
cxsc Unknown                        No Image Present Not Applicable

Mod  Status             Data Plane Status     Compatibility
---- ------------------ --------------------- -------------
   0 Up Sys             Not Applicable        
 ips Up                 Up                    
cxsc Unresponsive       Not Applicable        

Mod  License Name   License Status  Time Remaining
---- -------------- --------------- ---------------
 ips IPS Module     Enabled         perpetual     

ASA# 

Hi,

I think this verifies that the IPS is UP.

You shoudl be able to see the packet increment in the "show service-policy" output for the IPS policy if the ASA device is redirecting the packets successfully to the IPS.

I would suggest checking that output.

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhor Amrodia

Here is the output of this command, and yes it is incrementing periodically, but I see no drops at all !!!

Global policy: 
  Service-policy: global_policy
    Class-map: inspection_default
      Inspect: dns preset_dns_map, packet 0, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: ftp, packet 532, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: h323 h225 _default_h323_map, packet 12, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
               tcp-proxy: bytes in buffer 0, bytes dropped 0
      Inspect: h323 ras _default_h323_map, packet 0, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: rsh, packet 4, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: rtsp, packet 12, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: esmtp _default_esmtp_map, packet 134, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: sqlnet, packet 1381454, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: skinny , packet 4, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: sunrpc, packet 8, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: xdmcp, packet 0, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: sip , packet 8, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: netbios, packet 16582, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: tftp, packet 0, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: ip-options _default_ip_options_map, packet 0, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: icmp, packet 78636, lock fail 0, drop 12, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
      Inspect: icmp error, packet 96, lock fail 0, drop 0, reset-drop 0, v6-fail-close 0
    Class-map: global-class
      IPS: card status Up, license status Enabled, mode inline fail-open, sensor vs0
        packet input 4405732, packet output 4405732, drop 0, reset-drop 30

Hi,

This isolates the issue on the IME. I don't think it is the redirection policy causing any issues.

You should check the IME and it might be some Database corruption etc on the IME end.

Try the basic troubleshooting like restarting the IME and services but after that i would suggest going for a TAC case.

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhor Amrodia

I tried two IME versions on two PCs and all the same. so I don't know what is it.

Do you know any other software for IPS reporting ? and btw I can't use ASDM for some reason. It always says unable to load sensor.

I tried two IME versions on two PCs and all the same. so I don't know what is it.

Do you know any other software for IPS reporting ? and btw I can't use ASDM for some reason. It always says unable to load sensor.

AboudMokh
Level 1
Level 1

I found the solution by coincidence, I changed the security level of management interface on ASA from 100 to 0 and suddenly all reports started to appear on IME. I don't know why, this what happened. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card