cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8851- company activation code not working

Lopez921
Level 1
Level 1

I work for a company. A friend of mine had a phone stop working and needed to have her phone replaced. We work from home, the company provided a new phone as well as an activation code but when it’s entered the screen displays “connecting…” and never actually connects. Tech support continues to say it’s an ISP issue. I have the same service provider, am working from home with the same phone model with no issues. I took MY currently activated and working phone to her house, when my phone is plugged at her house it works perfectly fine. We then attempted to plug the new phone with new activation codes at my house and I have the same issue. Screen displays “connecting…”. They are adamant the issues is our ISP. Is there something that MAY be wrong with our ISP? Is there something wrong on the company’s side? There clearly is a disconnect w/the activation or provisioning but it’s been a month of troubleshooting, resetting, new equipment and nothing is working. Please help! 

3 Replies 3

Hi There,

We may not be able to provide better assistance, as it appears that your PBX administrator will need to configure the phone correctly on your PBX platform (either an on-premises call manager or Webex Calling).

The administrator should ensure that the correct phone model is configured in the administration portal. Alternatively, depending on the platform, you can provide them with the MAC address and IP phone model, and request manual configuration.

could you please let us know what phone model that you are using and any idea about your telephony solution name?

Regards,

Thank you for responding!

So you know very little about this. I’m assuming that the model is of
course a CP-8851 but I found the barcode sticker on the back after you
responded. My WORKING phone shows: PID VID: CP-8851-K9 V11, the
non-working phone shows: PID VID: CP-8851-K9 V16. Is that something that
needs to entered in exactly as shown and would cause issues if not? The had
me send him so he could get with his team about it.

As far as the telephony solution name, I unfortunately don’t know that. I’m
currently using my active working Cisco phone. Can that info be found there
in the settings somewhere?

Thank you!

Hi.

You are using a Cisco Call Manager on-premises solution for your PBX. Both phones are running on the enterprise firmware, which is good and it is what is required for the Cisco call manager.

Ideally, this issue should be addressed by your administrator, as they have access to the Call Manager and other UC components in your setup. There may be limited actions you can take from an end-user perspective. However, you could try resetting the faulty phone to see if that resolves the issue. Instructions for resetting the phone can be found at the following link. Troubleshoot IP Phones 78XX, 88XX With No Prompt MRA Log in Screen. - Cisco

On your IP phone: 

Navigate to Settings > Admins Settings (6) > Reset Settings (4) > Service Mode (4) > Reset as shown in the image.

Regards,