cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE MAC address format different from other Cisco devices...

lukeconft
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco IOS switches output MAC address to xxxx.xxxx.xxxx , as I'm sure you're all aware. 

So why on earth do I need to reformat it to xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx when adding to ISE MAB?

Such a simple bit of a programming to make it recognise both. Infuriating to any user who encounters the problem, over and over again. Poor and lazy programming from Cisco, but not totally out of character...

Not so much a question. More a statement in the hope that Cisco sort out the basics.

1 Reply 1

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Not sure if I totally agree with you.  I hear what you're saying, and from a human's point of view you are 100% correct. 

But the Radius User-Name attribute is a free form text string. It has no structure.  If there was agreement to use a typed field for MAB (e.g. 6 byte fixed length) then there would be no issue about interpretation.  But each NAS can send any 250 characters in the User-Name attribute.  It simplifies the programming to have an agreed format.

On Cisco WLC I don't recall ever having to change the format.  And on other vendor equipment the same applies.  Perhaps it's an oddity because Cisco switches use the xxxx.xxxx.xxxx format ?