Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Windows 10 with Credential Guard - AnyConnect Supplicant

daabruze
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Team -

I'm with a customer this week and don't have a way to test for this question at the moment.

ISE v1.4 Patch 7

Like many Federal DOD customers, they have a Windows 10 Workstation STIG (STIG ID: WN10-CC-000075) that requires them enable the Credential Guard feature on Windows 10; which does not allow for PEAP-MSCHAPv2 Machine Authentication.

The simple answer is the one I'm currently pursuing; which is to have them disable the feature and continue using Machine Auth. They do not have the infrastructure to put valid certificates on the workstations for EAP-TLS.

I would like to know though, if they use the AnyConnect client as the supplicant, would that be a solution or is NTLM and Kerberos authentication (MSCHAPv2) still affected by enabling Credential Guard regardless of the supplicant being native or AnyConnect.

Thanks for any feedback.

Damon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Protect derived domain credentials with Credential Guard (Windows 10) says,

Credential Guard also does not allow unconstrained Kerberos delegation, NTLMv1, MS-CHAPv2, Digest, CredSSP, and Kerberos DES encryption.

• If you are using Wi-Fi and VPN end points that are based on MS-CHAPv2, they are subject to similar attacks as NTLMv1. We recommend that organizations use certificated-based authentication for Wi-Fi and VPN connections.

From what I understood, it implied certificate-based auth would be a must if this feature is enabled.

I will check with our teams and see whether anyone knows it differently. You could probably try EAP-GTC as the inner method.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Protect derived domain credentials with Credential Guard (Windows 10) says,

Credential Guard also does not allow unconstrained Kerberos delegation, NTLMv1, MS-CHAPv2, Digest, CredSSP, and Kerberos DES encryption.

• If you are using Wi-Fi and VPN end points that are based on MS-CHAPv2, they are subject to similar attacks as NTLMv1. We recommend that organizations use certificated-based authentication for Wi-Fi and VPN connections.

From what I understood, it implied certificate-based auth would be a must if this feature is enabled.

I will check with our teams and see whether anyone knows it differently. You could probably try EAP-GTC as the inner method.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: