cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IOS device - enable password

STOps9487
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a trick to getting the enable password working on a Cisco IOS device?

I set up my first workflow to connect to a Cisco IOS device recently and initially could not get the enable mode working.

Using the "Send Interface Commands" activity, I issue the "enable" command.

From there, the activity times out.

The target is using the Cisco IOS expect template, which I notice has the "Elevating privilege command" option.

How is this used? Should the expect template automatically detect the elevating command and then use the expects below?

If so, this does not seem to be working.

The only way I could get it to work was to add my own manual expect to the "Send Interface Commands" activity. I used the Targets "Elevating Privilege Command" variable reference as the expect, and sent the admin users password in response.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It is to open up the expect template to allow you to use an elevate command. If you don't enable those expect templates and you executed an "enable" command and you command prompt turned to the "#" sign, then it would not match any expect templates and the further commands would time out and not work.

--shaun

--Shaun Roberts
Principal Engineer, CX
shaurobe@cisco.com

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Shaun Roberts
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm not sure about a "send interface commands" activity, as I do not believe that exists. (Was it something you had custom done by AS?)

However, whenever I need to elevate to enable mode I just use the "Execute Terminal Commands" activity and put "enable" in there and then add an expect to it that would catch the request for password and send back the proper enable level password. The same should hold true for any IOS device.

If you continue to have issues, open a case and let's get some more pairs of eyes on it.

--shaun

--Shaun Roberts
Principal Engineer, CX
shaurobe@cisco.com

Sorry, "send interface commands" was my display name for thhe "Execute Terminal Commands" activity.

What I did sounds like what you do too, but I guess that raises a question for me.

In the expect Template properties for the Cisco IOS Device, there is a check box for "Elevating privilege command".

What is this section for if it's not to set up an "expect" for the enable command? I thought with this in place, we wouldn't have to manually specify an expect for "enable" in the activity itself.

It is to open up the expect template to allow you to use an elevate command. If you don't enable those expect templates and you executed an "enable" command and you command prompt turned to the "#" sign, then it would not match any expect templates and the further commands would time out and not work.

--shaun

--Shaun Roberts
Principal Engineer, CX
shaurobe@cisco.com

So the "Admin Prompt Pattern" above is irrelevent, or it needs both?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: