cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Data Center / Intellegent Scheduling / Tidal enterprise scheduling software / Configuration settings when new hardware added

Dave.Carnahan
Level 1
Level 1

My environment is running Tidal v6.2.1.415 in Windows.

I've recently been able to receive more computer processors (and memory) for the two servers - running the Tidal Client Manager and Tidal Master.

My environment was actually considered a 'medium' sized Tidal environment (due to the size of the data base), not because of the number of day-to-day jobs and/or users running clients.

In looking at the 6.2.1 Performance Tuning Guide, it suggests to place some newer values into three files:

--

[1] Master.Props,

[2] Clientmgr.props and

[3] tes-6.0.0.0.dsp

--

But the funny thing about this is that the file tes-6.0.0.0.dsp file does not exist.

Anyone had this situation before? How did you resolve? (Don't worry about it?)

Also, is the only way to make the changes - is to turn off both services, make the changes, then turn the services back on again? 

Or can I make the config changes, then stop and start the two services (master and client manager)? 

Thanks in advance-

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Derrick Au
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Dave,

The performance guide uses an arbitrary name for the dsp--Data Source Provider / CM plugin. This file can be found in your Client Manager \ config \ *.dsp

Backup all your props and dsp files. It is better to stop the Client Manager, then Master, make the config changes, then start up Master, then the Client Manager. Online changes usually don't end up all too well.

Regards,

Derrick Au

View solution in original post

opsteamprod1
Level 1
Level 1

We recently upgraded to 6.2.1 and have just updated our Master.props file, the Backup Master props file and Clientmgr.props file. and the TES 6.2.DSP file did not need any changes

We have a medium system as well and this was successful.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Derrick Au
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Dave,

The performance guide uses an arbitrary name for the dsp--Data Source Provider / CM plugin. This file can be found in your Client Manager \ config \ *.dsp

Backup all your props and dsp files. It is better to stop the Client Manager, then Master, make the config changes, then start up Master, then the Client Manager. Online changes usually don't end up all too well.

Regards,

Derrick Au

Found only two .dsp files -

One on the CM server in ....\tidal\clientManager\config\tes6.0.dsp 

and a 2nd on the CM   in \...\tidal\clientManager\plugins\tes-6.0\tes-6.0.dsp

-

Neither one had a setting to adjust memory usage size like the master.props does.

Then found just the one master.props file -

On the master server in ...\Tidal\scheduler\master\config\master.props

-

master.props just had the one line saying 'JVMARGS=-Xms2048m -Xmx2048m'

I cloned, commented out and copied the line to a new one saying - 

'JVMARGS=-Xms8192m -Xmx8192m'

Saved the file, then turned the master service, then turned on the CM service.

Things are running and tested out ok.

-

But using a web browser client (IE or Chrome - hitting the CM) still getting a lag -

[1] when paging between pages of displayed screens and

[2] when filtering, a buffering lag is occurring,

Any ideas for speeding up the process to jump between screens of pages of data that needs to be loaded? 

The screen presentation will display 1.5 pages of detail lines, then pause, (cursor swirls for xx seconds), then the next page of data is presented. Scrolling further (down or up) repeats this same description above - basically a latent lag of getting the data and placing job information on the next screen - up or down.

==

Note - here are the server specs now and then:

-

Our master was a 4GB / 1cpu Win2012r2, now is a 10GB / 4cpu Win2012r2 running @2533MHz

Our CM      was a 8GB / 2cpu Win2012r2, now is a 10GB / 4cpu Win2012r2 running @2533MHz

==

{I'd noticed a lot of recommended settings from the tuning guide, but don't want to change them all in a mass overkill, then shoot something else down, but rather slowly step the parameters to an appropriate level for using the system via the web browser}.

The Java client (loaded from my 64-bit 8gig memory workstation) seems very good, and hasn't been a problem, except with OutLook running.

Haven't tried pulling down a Java Tidal client from the master. Anyone done this?

Would like to see about trying that one, even though we only have a 4 cpu master w/ 10Gig memory... 

Thanks again

+ PS:

Forgot to include a print-screen of some of these settings.

See attached JPG for configuration settings of a medium-class CM and Master 

Hi Dave,

I recommend that you contact Tidal Support for this matter. They will be able to help you fine tune Tidal 6.2X performance based on your machine settings if you have not yet done so :-)

I will get back to your other posting about Tidal job being killed but the process still lingers later today as this is also related to performance.

BR,

Derrick Au

Hi;

I am not sure this will help you issue as we were seeing RPC errors and did the following.

We have not had any luck with the JAVA Client.

For IE we worked with CISCO and changed a setting in REGEDIT and then updated \Program Files\TIDAL\ClientManager\config\webserver.xml this file on the Client Manager.

Below are the step to change Regedit, CISCO has not updated the DOC so it needs to be 240000 not 120000.

There are 3 places in the webserver.xml file that need changed look for

<Set name="idleTimeout">

and you will need to stop and start the service on the CM once completed.

Change maxIdleTime (from 30 seconds to 120 seconds or higher) in webserver.xml file in CM/config folder. <Set name="maxIdleTime">30000</Set> change to <Set name="maxIdleTime">120000</Set> Note This setting is in two places – one under SSL section, update both places (particularly important if SSL/HTTPS is being used). Step 2 Add a KeepAliveTimeout for IE Browser: a. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. b. Locate and then click the following key in the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings c. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value for 32 bit Note For 64-bit browsers/users, select QWORD or if in doubt, add both.

d. Type KeepAliveTimeout, and then press ENTER.

e. On the Edit menu, click Modify.

f. Type the appropriate time-out value (in milliseconds), and then click OK. For example, to set the time-out value to two minutes, type 120000.

g. Restart Internet Explorer.

Not finding any of those settings you're describing to change IE timeouts.

Sounds like 'calling Cisco time', but still one big 'THANK YOU' for your feedback D.A. 

opsteamprod1
Level 1
Level 1

We recently upgraded to 6.2.1 and have just updated our Master.props file, the Backup Master props file and Clientmgr.props file. and the TES 6.2.DSP file did not need any changes

We have a medium system as well and this was successful.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card