Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Data Retrieval Rule Clarifications

Is it possible to have a data retrieval rule in which the where clause should process a condition with a multi-value field

For example, I have a field for departments and the values are Analyst, Developers, Testers, Admins

Is it possible for me to pass an indirect arguement such as departments[1] to get the details for developers?

SELECT * FROM tblDivisions where department = #dictionaryname.fieldname#[1]

instead of

SELECT * FROM tblDivisions where department = 'Developers'

Also, I am displaying the result of a data retrieval rule as checkboxes and they are available vertically even if I changed it as Horizontal in the display properties of the form. Is there any way to have the resultant checkboxes horizontally?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

3 Replies 3

sotoh
Level 1
Level 1

Looking at the queries you provided, it seems to me you want to pass an argument to a Data Retrieval Rule using a dictionary field.  That is part of the product feature.

I am not sure where the "multi-value" field comes in.  You can pass any value via the dictionary field to be used by your DDR, and the example you gave only requires passing in a single value in the dictionary field.  Does this address your question?

Hi Song,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, as you mentioned, we can only pass a dictionary field in the where clause.

My doubt is - what if the dictionary field contains multiple values?

My requirement is: When loading the form, I need to pull a list of values such as the company names (Adobe, MicroSoft, IBM, Cisco) from the backend table [this is done].

The products associated to these companies are also available on the backend table. They have to be fetched and displayed in the subsequent fields. So, i need to pass the list of companies one by one which I got via the data retrieval rule to subsequent data retrieval rules for the associated fields to display the product names.

This is the logic I thought about. So, I need to pass the arguements dynamically. Is it possible to achieve? Is there any other alternate simple ways to achieve this?

I have customized at SQL end - instead of using a SQL query, I called a function by passing the appropriate arguement and got the result