cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does Tidal 6.2 support Java JRE 8 ?

Patricia Hindes
Level 1
Level 1

Can Tidal 6.2 master/client/fault monitor run on JRE 8 (1.8)?  Is anyone running on Java 8?

18 Replies 18

Shyam Sundar Srinivasan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, TES 6.2.1 is validated only with JRE 7.

It seems Oracle has moved on, but TES v6.x is locked into this version.

Do you have a hyperlink to the version of JRE 7 ? (32 and 64-bit versions)

Thanks!

Here is a link to 7u76 x64... I am sure you can search the site for x32

http://download.cnet.com/Java-Runtime-Environment-JRE-64-Bit/3000-2378_4-75317067.html

Hey, thanks Patricia for the link.

Question: 

What's the deal with this JConsole utility? - for performance tuning - that TES is needing?

I'm not finding this software on any of my servers that I installed the Java client on, but I'm running the TESv6.2.1.160 master, clientmanager and two different types of TES web clients. (Agents are at 3.x... )

It's looking like I need JConsole to get my TES / Java sessions running better, yes?

I didn't see anything in the Performance Tuning guides as to which version of Java I needed. 

We're a .Net / Microsoft shop and the Java isn't on the roadmap for us, but Tidal is, if I can make this happen... 

Thanks in advance- 

I may have given you the wrong link then.  JConsole is part of the JDK (java software dev kit.  I think you can google JDK 7 download and find versions.  Sorry.

You can open a support ticket with Cisco and they can help you get the client running and tuned.  We are still in the process ourselves.

Hi,

Any movement on TES 6.2 supporting Java 8? Updates for JDK7 are on a support contract basis only now with Oracle. Its getting harder to hold back the desktops from requiring Java 8 due to browser and other application support issues.

Trying to run multiple versions is problematic. I'm principally concerned with the Java client but server side would be nice to have too.

Just registered this as a support question. The answer I'm told is with SP3 due out somewhere around end Q1 next year.

SP3 that was released this week shows support for Java 8 for the ClientManager, Master, Agents and Transporter.

Michelle

Has anyone tried to install java 8 after sp3 yet? We did and it did not go well. I lost all my JDBC connections after ensuring all the paths were correct in the config files.  I ended up rolling all the virtual machines back to a snapshot. 

Hope this helps a lot of people....

We got around the "multiple versions of java" issue by simply running the TES java client with a private instance of the JRE.  All you do is install the version of the JRE you want to use with TES client to a test machine, and then copy the entire installed folder structure to all other computers with the TES *.jar installation in a custom path of your choosing.  Then, you run the TES client jar with that one "private" instance of the JRE.

In this way, only the TES instance uses the custom JRE version, and all other java apps on the machine will use the installed one. 

I put in an enhancement request with Cisco that they should automatically embed a private JRE with the TES java client in the future and make it easy for everyone. 

Here's what my custom client start batch file looks like...

start C:\Progra~1\TES\jdk\jre\bin\javaw.exe -ea -Xmx8192m -Dfile.encoding=Cp1252 -classpath C:\Progra~1\TES\Client\lib\* com.cisco.tes.client.ClientApp

Here's my directory structure on the client machines....It is all packaged and distributed via our enterprise software deployment system and is simply copying all these folders to the client machine, nothing touches the registry or is registered as a program installed.  Very simple!

c:\program files\TES\Client

c:\program files\TES\Docs

c:\program files\TES\Icons

c:\program files\TES\JDK\JRE  (I use the JDK for java mission control)

c:\program files\TES\Shortcuts

c:\program files\TES\TESCmdLine

c:\program files\TES\Transporter

In regards to my original comment of 'It seems Oracle has moved on, but TES v6.x is locked into version 1.7.0_79'

I've found out since then, that the way you launch the TES v6 Java client is via a batch script which you script to point to this version of Java.

Also, multiple versions of Java can co-exist, but originally this was not explained to me (I guess I didn't get that memo...)

So in a Windows icon, the property of -

'  "C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -ea -Xmx8192m -Dfile.encoding=Cp1252 -classpath "C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\lib\jfxrt.jar";"C:\Program Files\TIDAL\TES Java Client\lib\*" com.cisco.tes.client.ClientApp  '

- will launch this bad boy and get you the Cisco TES v6.2.1.xxx version of Tidal.

Check it out... 

Also, for the original Oracle 64-bit version of Java version 1.7.0_79, see this hyperlink -

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html 

Please note, my reference to - 

'  "C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -ea -Xmx8192m -Dfile.encoding=Cp1252 -classpath "C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\lib\jfxrt.jar";"C:\Program Files\TIDAL\TES Java Client\lib\*" com.cisco.tes.client.ClientApp  ' 

should exclude the outermost single quote values around the above.

The script should start with the 1st double quote and end after the phrase 'ClienetApp' at the bottom.

Thanks

manicstar
Level 1
Level 1

For security reasons, we are required to always run the latest version of Java.  What does Cisco plan to do for those of us being pressured to upgrade to Java 1.8/8?

For the record, no commercial application can always support the latest Java version.  It takes time to validate what's been updated, regression test with application, and then update documentation. 

It is very reasonable for vendors to always be behind, though 1.8 has been out for a long time.  I think it is that they are still feverishly trying to put out bugs, especially with the java client.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: