Views
Helpful
Replies

Enabling Server backup, Data recovery and AntiVirus

Anish Somadevan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Am new to CIAC and wanted to know if there is any option in CIAC to enable Server backup, Data recovery and install Antivirus while provisioning a VM from CIAC. It would be really helpful if anyone could share some links for the same or any documents available for it.

Thanks,

Anish

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

derevan
Level 4
Level 4

One option is to configure basic services such as backup and antivirus using Puppet or Chef. The Configuration Management Accelerator Kit integrates IAC with Puppet and Chef. Check it out at:

Configuration Management Accelerator Kit (CMAK) for Cisco Intelligent Automation for Cloud 4.0

View solution in original post

Anish, not sure if this is related to your original question, but if I understand correctly, you want to know how to configure which templates are made available for users to order. This is done  first through automated discovery of those images via CloudSync. Then, the provider (CPTA) uses the Manage Cloud Infrastructure portlet to review "Discovered" templates/images and mark them as "Registered" or "Ignored". Only "Registered" templates can be selected when ordering a VM. "Registered" items can also be temporarily removed from the selection by putting them into "Maintenance" mode.

If you mean you'd like these tasks to be performed manually, rather than via automation (or even I guess just show up on a different queue, but still delivered by service link integration e.g. to CPO), then in the Service plan, for the task, select the participants tab, and for the performer select the queue. It's that simple!

10 Replies 10

Shaun Roberts
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Stuff like backup and AV is not an Out of the Box (OOTB) feature. This is something that you can add to the extension points of the CIAC content however and many have. Most have used some form of CLI or silent installer calls to enable these features. Most likely this would be done in your post provisioning steps. You could do a ton more than that listed above in your pre and post provisioning steps, it kind of just depends on your use-case and what you need to do. But it will all involve some custom content development in the CPO side of your CIAC statck.

--Shaun Roberts
shaurobe@cisco.com
CIAC Adoption Pilot Engineering Lead

--Shaun Roberts
Principal Engineer, CX
shaurobe@cisco.com

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for replying. I would be adding the content in CPO for the above mentioned services. But how can i make sure that data backup is being implemented in the VM. The new steps in CPO for enabling these services would need to map these requests to some parameters in VM which would instruct the CPO to enable it, coz its not provided as an option while creating a server from template. It would be helpful if you provide some sample CPO process explaining the same as a new to CIAC.

Thanks,

Anish

Depending on what AV or backup or whatever you use then you have to develop the content to use that.

Example:

If you need to enable "Don's Backup Service" it might be as simple as a CLI command at a command prompt like

C:\>dbs_install.exe -silent

Or maybe it's a web service call to some deployment application, or maybe (like Derek says) it's some configuration management system.

The way you determine to deploy something is totally up to you and your IT and application infrastructure. It's hard to provide you examples when there is no knowledge of what you have running. You have to write the content and test it out.

I find(when writing my content) the best way to do it is to write down the steps you would do manually and then make that in CPO in a process or a few processes. If you want to see some examples and ideas about custom content authoring I do a monthly blog on custom content development @

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/data-center/intelligent_automation?view=blog

Futhermore if you wanted someone to write it for you, that's more of an Advanced Services thing and you would want to contact them.

--Shaun Roberts
shaurobe@cisco.com
CIAC Adoption Pilot Engineering Lead

--Shaun Roberts
Principal Engineer, CX
shaurobe@cisco.com

Thanks Shaun. I will be making some changes in the workflow to enable these services with the cloud provider.

Anish

derevan
Level 4
Level 4

One option is to configure basic services such as backup and antivirus using Puppet or Chef. The Configuration Management Accelerator Kit integrates IAC with Puppet and Chef. Check it out at:

Configuration Management Accelerator Kit (CMAK) for Cisco Intelligent Automation for Cloud 4.0

Thanks Derek. I would like to know how can we manage the different images (OS) avaialble while creating a VM from template. Do we need to configure it anywhere in CIAC about the available images so that its avilable in the drop down option while creating or is it an auto discovery from the provider that gets populated in the drop down? In case its an auto discovery, how can we manage it?, for instance only certain images should be available to an user to select while creating a VM.

Anish, not sure if this is related to your original question, but if I understand correctly, you want to know how to configure which templates are made available for users to order. This is done  first through automated discovery of those images via CloudSync. Then, the provider (CPTA) uses the Manage Cloud Infrastructure portlet to review "Discovered" templates/images and mark them as "Registered" or "Ignored". Only "Registered" templates can be selected when ordering a VM. "Registered" items can also be temporarily removed from the selection by putting them into "Maintenance" mode.

Hi Derek,

Thanks Derek, I was able to find the templates from the provider in Manage Cloud infrastructure portlet. I wanted to check with you regarding a question on enabling Antivirus, backup, data recovery. Is it possible to do it using Queue and assigning it to a service team. Since Queue basically contains tasks to be performed, can this task too be performed in that way? If so, i would like to know how to assign a task to a queue. I was able to create a new queue and assign it to a service team. But how can we assign a task to a queue. Eg - Ordering a VM from template needs to be assigned to a queue " Perform VM Actions Queue". When i open the Service Manager, am able to view thealready available Tasks with Requisition and Queue name. But how to get my task assigned to a queue and make it available in the Service Manager window?

If you mean you'd like these tasks to be performed manually, rather than via automation (or even I guess just show up on a different queue, but still delivered by service link integration e.g. to CPO), then in the Service plan, for the task, select the participants tab, and for the performer select the queue. It's that simple!

Thanks Mark, It worked

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: