cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

File dependency with time limit

tony.rice
Level 1
Level 1

I have an external web service that creates file for me to process.

This process can take from 5-25 minutes, so I want the jobs to have a file dependency rather that a completion dependency on the web service job.

My concern is that I only want the job to run when the files acutally get generated, and to complete abnormally if the files were never generated.

What is the best way to go about this with Tidal?  I'm essentially trying to recreate the functionality of a file dependency in autosys, with an "alarm after" condition.  For this example, after 30 minutes, I'd like the job that processes the file to complete abnormally.

Is the best approach to this a Job Action?

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

On the file dependency, you may use the condition that file size is stable for a certain amount of time.

You may also use the file event instead to trigger your job where you can use File size stable for (milliseconds) option

I agree, the file dependency waits for the file to be stable for a minute before proceeding - this works great.

What I'm trying to identify is the condition where the file is never produced by the web service.  At present, if I don't get a file at all it just never executes and I want to have an alert if the file never arrives.

Will this help ?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12201776/file-event-events

You mentioned 'so I want the jobs to have a file dependency rather that a completion dependency on the web service job.'

Hope you have tried setting both web service job dependency and file dependency on second job. You could have an AND / OR condition

You could possible consider a third monitoring job that has two dependencies

1. Job dependency on completion of the WS job
  2. File dependency(file does not exist)

If both conditions are satisfied then it means the file hasn't been produced by the web service. In which case, the third job can send alerts

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card