cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Polling Interval

Mike Small
Level 1
Level 1

We have a number of Tidal Enterprise Scheduler Adapters installed, namely...

Business Objects - Event Poll
Email - Connection Poll and Mailbox Poll
Informatica - Workflow Poll
JDBC - Event Poll
MSSql - Connection Poll
Netezza - Event Poll
Oracle DB - Connection Poll
OracleApps - Connection Poll
PeopleSoft - Connection Poll
VMware - Event Poll
WebService - Connection Poll

When I create a new connection for any of these adapters, there is a section on the "Options" tab called "Polling Interval".  The precise polling prompt varies for each adapter type (shown in italics above).

Annoyingly I can't find any documentation referring to this anywhere.

Can anyone tell me what these polling options actually mean?  For example, the Netezza "Event Poll" has a default value of 5 seconds.  What exactly happens every 5 seconds?  I'm trying to find a way of determining the most optimum polling times and my assumption is that if I raise the polling intervals I may save some unnecessary processing time but perhaps at the expense of delayed completion of any jobs using these adaptors/

Appreciate any help from someone in the know.

2 Replies 2

rosaho
Level 3
Level 3

This discussion has been reposted from Leaderboards to the Tidal Enterprise Scheduler community.

jxaviers
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mike,

The polling interval are used to poll the third party server say Netezza DB  for  Status of job and to check for events if anything associated with the adapter connection. If you increase the polling interval you may save some calls to third party system for example say Netezza DB. Increasing poll interval may be helpful in case of long running jobs for example the job runs for 30 minutes you can set the polling interval to 2 minutes or higher according to your wish. But for jobs which complete within 1 minute, increasing the polling interval to 30 seconds may cause delay in job status update.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card