cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange exit code

Bruce Jones
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone ever seen this occur,  a job is submitted by Tidal to run on a unix server,  when the job ends the Tidal agent gets back a -23 exit code and set the job completed abnormally, yet the job acutally ends successfuly with a 0 exit code.  Any Ideas??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, signal 11 is a segmentation fault. it is likely something from linux. best i can find is bad memory. but it's happening on a lot of machines and only through tidal so i don't know.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Brian Dickens
Level 1
Level 1

Not necessarily a -23, but similar. Do you then see "Launcher error: Job error:- Job terminated on signal" then a number. I see signal 11 a bunch but also signal 15 and signal 6. I've been through multiple rounds of support on this and Cisco support will say it's not an issue with the Tidal software.

Best I've been able to do: Set the job to rerun on failure up to 3 times. The job generally runs, eventually.

No seeing the Launcher error, this error I am getting is a strange one.  It does not affect the same job.  I suspect it has something to do with the network, this particular agent is being used basically as a pass  through to send commands to a Micro Focus Cobol server hosted on a AIX box.

In your case we have gotten a Signal 9 error which usually happens with a Unix admin, or one of our programmers log into the Unix server, and issue a 'kill' command on a process that is running through Tidal, which cause the job to complete abnormally and issue a 'signal 9' message in the output. I suspect something similiar is happening in your case. Try a google search for those 'signal' messages. Likely it is something from either AIX, or Linux.

Yes, signal 11 is a segmentation fault. it is likely something from linux. best i can find is bad memory. but it's happening on a lot of machines and only through tidal so i don't know.

Thanks for all the responses,  2 weeks ago the application was moved to a new unix server, and the -23 exit codes have stopped.  Don't know what caused those errors, but it seems to have been either something with unix or the micro focus hosted server on the unix box.  May never know the cause,  going to close this out.

Bruce,

It could be network-related, and it could also be application-related. What commands are you sending to Micro Focus Cobol? What is the process actually doing? Somehow -23 is being sent back to Tidal which signifies abnormal completion. Have you checked on -23 against runtime system error codes?

BR,

Derrick Au

Derrick,

I am leaning you way, I too think it is network related, it does not happen every day, and we run a batch cycle 7 days a week, and sometimes it will occur on one job or as many as five jobs.  AIX admin is thinking the same thing too.  Below are the commands we send, simply to get a job run on the Microfocus server. Strange thing is the job runs good with no errors, but we will get a random -23 back.

mfbsijcl
-sTCP:slaabc1.microfocus.com:9102  
/j/opt/PRODJCL/jcl/PCDSSD3.JCL

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card