Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tidal clarifications

1)what is the difference between events and actions?

2)Suppose i have defined event x and action y.How to use event x and action y in job defination?I do not see any tab in job activity to use actions and  events?

3)I have to scan the email and if the body of email contains keyword:File is not present.
Then i should not trigger my tidal job.If it does not contain keyword trigger the tidal job.
How to create dependency based on content of the body of the email?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You're welcome vamsivaliveti.edu1

1) From the navigation pane to your left, click on connections.

Double check to see if the email adapter has been setup properly. Just like any agent connection, there should be an email adapter connection with a green light indicator if this has been setup correctly. If not, then right click on the connection screen to bring up a context menu and select Add Connection -> Email Adapter

In the Email Connection Defintion, specify the following:

Name of the connection

Select a privileged email user

Specify email server

and select IMAP / POP protocol (optional: port override)

2)When a job does not get triggered at the end of its time window or for the day, the job status will change to either a timeout or skipped status. This is just a status. It is up to you whether you want this alert to be actioned, or simply ignored but in either case this should be documented in a runbook fashion.

3)The disposition is what you want to instruct Tidal to do upon receiving an email that matches your scan for text criteria. When clicking on the drop down, there are several options: Mark Message as Read, Move Message to a Target Folder, or Delete Message.

BR,

Derrick Au

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Derrick Au
Level 4
Level 4

1) An event can be specified as: Job Event, System Events, Variable Events, File Events, and Email Events. For example, a job completing normally or job completing abnormally are both job events. An action is what you want to instruct Tidal to do next. So for a job event that monitors when a job completes normally, you may want to have a corresponding action to send out an email notification to members within your group.

2) Firstly, add an Email Action Y that sends out an email whenever a job completes normally specifying the details such as: JobName, Job Start Time, and Job End Time, and add the recipients whom should receive the notification.

Then add an Event X that gets triggered whenever a job completes normally and associate the email action you created in the above step. When done, go to your job definitions and click on the Job Events tab. You can insert the job event there.

The events and actions should follow some sort of naming convention so that they would be easy to find and match up, and generic enough so that they can be applied to more than a single job.

3)There's a couple of ways to do this, but you will need to an Email Event that does the scanning. But first, create the job that you want to run. Then create either a variable action or job action. The variable action will allow you to change the variable of the value, so that your job may have a dependency on that variable. OR if you go with the job action, it will insert the job you created in the first step into the schedule. Then go back to create your Email Event, specifying the connection, scanning for "File was present" in the body, then associate either the variable action and add this variable dependency into your job definition, or job action.

BR,

Derrick Au

Thanks alot for input:

There is a change in requirement for point 3.Please see my orginal post
Based on your suggestion i am following below approach.
1)Email Event+variable action

Step1:
create a email event with following settings:
email_event is the event name
email moniter:
email connection is blank and i will check with admin for this issue
Folder=Inbox
Scan for test='File is not present'
IN=message
schedule=i will select the calender name depends upon my requirement
Associated Actions=flag_indicator which is created below

Step2:
variable action:
Actionname=flag_indicator
variablname=flag
Type of update=Set variable value to
Value=<SysDate.M/d/yyyy>

Step3:

Go to Dependencies tab of Job.add variable dependency
variablname=flag
operator=Does not equal to
value=<SysDate.M/d/yyyy>

clarifications:
1)Please check whether my understanding is correct or not to satisfy my requirement point 3
2)Do i need to add email_event in Job Events tab of Job.If yes why?as of now i am not adding.once email connection is present i will work on this.

Hi vamsivaliveti.edu1,

The listed steps above are correct. But wouldn't you want to trigger the job based on current day's file? In step 3. you have variable flag <> SysDate.M/d/yyyy

The Email Monitor is separate event mechanism which is separate from the Tidal job. All that is left now, is to add variable flag dependency to your job.

BR,

Derrick Au

Thanks for input.I want to trigger the file based on current day's file only.
I have two scenario's File is not present in email body or if file is present i will not receive any email.

scenario 1:-File is not present

Step1:

Scan for test='File is not present' is satisfied

Step2:
flag_indicator is updated to today's date

Step3:
variablname=flag
value=<SysDate.M/d/yyyy>

value will contain today's date.variable dependency is not satisfied so job won not be triggered

scenario 2:-File is present and i did not get any mail

Step1:

Scan for test='File is not present' is not satisfied

Step2:
flag_indicator is not updated to today's date

Step3:
variablname=flag
value=<SysDate.M/d/yyyy>

variable dependency is satisfied so job will be triggered

please correct me if i am wrong for below requirement

I have to scan the email and if the body of email contains keyword:File is not present.
Then i should not trigger my tidal job. if i did not get any mail trigger the tidal job.

Hi vamsivaliveti.edu1,

This looks good. You've got this! Just a quick note, when the job does not get triggered it will end up in a timedout/skipped state.

Cheers,

Derrick Au

Thanks alot for spending your valuable time for my clarifications.But still i have following clarifications

1)email connection is blank in email event .My tidal admin does not know how to do it?Any input will be appreciated

2)you told

when the job does not get triggered it will end up in a timedout/skipped state.

clarification:what is the best option in this case my requirement is i should not trigger my job if file is not present.U mean to  say  timedout/skipped state is not good option in my case

3)What option i need to select in Disposition section  while creating email event defination?Operation=?

You're welcome vamsivaliveti.edu1

1) From the navigation pane to your left, click on connections.

Double check to see if the email adapter has been setup properly. Just like any agent connection, there should be an email adapter connection with a green light indicator if this has been setup correctly. If not, then right click on the connection screen to bring up a context menu and select Add Connection -> Email Adapter

In the Email Connection Defintion, specify the following:

Name of the connection

Select a privileged email user

Specify email server

and select IMAP / POP protocol (optional: port override)

2)When a job does not get triggered at the end of its time window or for the day, the job status will change to either a timeout or skipped status. This is just a status. It is up to you whether you want this alert to be actioned, or simply ignored but in either case this should be documented in a runbook fashion.

3)The disposition is what you want to instruct Tidal to do upon receiving an email that matches your scan for text criteria. When clicking on the drop down, there are several options: Mark Message as Read, Move Message to a Target Folder, or Delete Message.

BR,

Derrick Au

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: