Views
Helpful
Replies

VM provisioning process in CIAC

Hungnt_sbd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are considering CIAC for an IaaS project. Although Process Orchestrator has a lot of built-in processses, I still think there is a lot of work to do to make it work and have functions applicaple for an IaaS services.

For example, I have took a look at the VM provisioning process and it seems that it doesnt include the process to notify the users about the VM after provisioned so that they can know how to access that VM (ip address, OS username, password...)

And the VM Console is pretty complicated to implement if we only have vCenter ? (https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2184245)

Best Regards,

2 Replies 2

Lee Calcote
Level 3
Level 3

Hung, as you become familiar with IAC from an IaaS perspective (or other), you'll want to ensure you're considering the entirety of the solution as resides in both the orchestrator (Cisco Process Orchestrator) and the portal (Cisco Cloud Portal - being renamed to Cisco Prime Service Catalog). In IAC, user notifications, for example, are sent from the portal, not the orchestrator.

Hope this helps.

Lee, thanks for your response. I have had time to know more about the product since I posted this question.

The user notifications are indeed provided by CCP. But  there are new questions arise that I haven't figure them out:

- I want to include the ip address of VM in the email notification after VM provisioned. I tried to edit "Order VM from Template Completion Notification" email template, inserting #Service.Data.SIBDVirtualMachineVM.PrimaryIpaddress# but no luck.

- It seems that when ordering Linux Vm, users do not have an option to provide their own root password ?

I have checked the "Linux Os Customization " activity in CPO and it does not have a field for password, so it could be a limitation of CIAC for Linux VM Provisioning ? If so, then provisioning Linux VM with a default root password could be a security concern, especially when deploying the VM with public Ip address.

I hope someone can give me some hints on how to deal with these two problems.

Regards,

Hung