Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5512-X IPS module licensing

ysantizo1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have an ASA 5512-X but bought an wrong license for the IPS module. I've been told that it needs to be under a valid Cisco Services for IPS service contract. But I want to know what is the part number that I need to buy in order to make it all right. 

Currently it is covered under a SmartNet (hardware) contract only.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6

alejanji
Level 1
Level 1

I would suggest you open a TAC case with the licensing department, they can help you with this.

Thanks alejanji

The thing is that they cannot attend this because there is not a valid contract for the ips.

Ok, if you want I can help you with this, I work at the Cisco TAC and as soon as I get some answers I will let you know.

Thanks, this issue isn't solved yet. There was a confusion of the product and there is going to be a change. But anyways i have a doubt, where can i see the name of the license that i need to buy for a CX module for this same model of asa (asa 5512x)? I remember that there is a page but can't find it.

Thanks! 

Best regards.

Both the classic IPS and the CX modules are end of sales.

IPS announcement.

CX announcement.

The replacement product is the FirePOWER services module. It requires an SSD storage drive in the 5512-X (if you don't already have one). You need to choose the licenses / features you want on it - IPS, URL Filtering and/or Advanced Malware Protection (AMP). They come in 1- and 3-year term options.

It is configured and managed by FireSIGHT Management Center (runs on an external ESXi server and purchased separately). It is available in 2- 5- and 25-devices licenses (in the software form factor) and can also be purchased as a hardware appliance for large scale deployments.

Your reseller can help you with the part numbers based on the ordering guide.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The old classic IPS is almost end of sales (August 2015).

Putting it under support for the IPS subscription requires attaching the service entitlement ( a process that the reseller is responsible for doing with Cisco) by virtue of having bought the IPS license. In doing this, the Smartnet contract part number is changed to reflect IPS subscription entitlement is associated with your unit's serial number.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card