cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASK THE EXPERT - IPv6 MIGRATION TOOLS

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Cisco Networking  Professionals Ask the Expert conversation.  Service Provider and  Enterprise network engineers are facing one of the major challenges  since the inception  of the Internet; the transition to IPv6. Several  tools and techniques are available today to ease this major undertaking.  This ask the expert session with Harold Ritter focuses on some of the  tunneling  techniques such as static tunnels, 6to4, isatap, 6rd and some  of the translation mechanisms such as nat444, nat64, dual stack lite  that will help network engineers reach their objective  of making IPv6  ubiquitous.  Harold Ritter is a technical leader with the Cisco Advanced  Services Central Engineering team. He is responsible for helping Cisco  top-tier Service Provider  customers to design, implement and  troubleshoot routing protocols and multicast, for both IPv4 and IPv6,  and MPLS solutions in their environment. He is a regular contributor to  CiscoLive.  He has been a network engineer for more than 14 years.  Harold is a CCIE (#4168) for Routing & Switching and Service  Provider.

Remember to use the rating system to let Harold know if you have received an adequate response.

Harold  might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected  during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered   questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event  lasts through November 5, 2010. Visit this forum often to view  responses  to your questions and the questions of other community  members.

20 Replies 20

CHARLES HEUPEL
Level 1
Level 1

Can you talk a little bit about how IPv6 will work at the subscriber level.  Will subscribers keep thier v4 address and be tunneled at the CPE device or will they have an actual IPv6 address on thier PCs.  The latter concerns me because now my computer has a global address that is reachable via the internet.  The nice thing about IPv4 and NAT was the fact that I could "hide" my devices behind the CPE device.  How will this work with IPv6?

Hi Charles,

Yes, the PC will get a global IPv6 address. Contrary to what some people think, NAT is not an efficient security measure and on top of it it breaks end to end connectivity. So in my view, moving away from NAT on the CPE is a good thing.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

acortespedraza
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Harold,

Is Dual Stack currently supported in the Carrier Grade Solution Engine?

I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Andres Cortes

Hi Andres,

The CGSE does support services such as NAT44, NAT64, 6RD, ds-lite,etc. Can you elaborate on what you mean by, does the CGSE support dual-stack?

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi Harold,

Regarding dual stak, the question is if it is possible to configure IPv4 and IPv6 in the interfaces ServiceApp belonging to the CGSE?.

Thank you.

Andres

Andres,

If you mean support IPv4 based and IPv6 based services in parallel, the answer is yes.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México