cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Could use a hand with IPv6 Strategy

singtneyu
Level 1
Level 1

Have IPv6 (Dynamic) from Comcast. I am able to get a /60 and need some help with what to do next.

As you can see in the pic, I'm able to route IPv4 via the IP Services on the 3560. That's working well. Now I want to get IPv6 up and running.

In the past I just had the PFSense box running all the routing, and the 3560 was layer 2 only. IPv6 worked fine throughout the system. Now that I'm using the 3560 for layer 3, and the port connected to the PFSense box from the 3560 is routed, I'm not getting IPv6 anywhere on the network.

I'm pretty green when it comes to IPv6. I'm not sure I understand what to do with the /60 I'm getting from Comcast. Since it's not static, I'm hesitant to set up a bunch of static IPv6 addresses on the Cisco Vlans. I could get static IPv4 & IPv6 from Comcast, but it's a significant amount more per month.

If anyone could shove me in the correct direction, I'd very much appreciate it.

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- For starters, there's no pic....

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hello,

can you post the running config of your 3560 ?

As far as I recall, iin any case, you need to run 'sdm prefer dual default' in order for the switch to support IPv6. 

Hi @singtneyu ,

You should definitely had the 3560 directly connected to the Internet. You will receive a /60 through via DHCPv6 prefix delegation and you can assign /64 to the various VLANS connected to that same 3560.

interface GigabitEthernet0/0 (3560 WAN interface)
ipv6 dhcp client pd test
!
interface Vlan10
ipv6 address test ::10:0:0:0:1/64
!
interface Vlan20
ipv6 address test ::20:0:0:0:1/64

interface Vlan30
ipv6 address test ::30:0:0:0:1/64

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: