Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 - Re-IP The Network to a new IPv6 Prefix

thoulihan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I currently have IPv6 deplyed but need to re-ip the network to another prefix.  Is there a way to deploy the new prefix on the VLANS and not have them advertised to clients until we are ready to cut over to the new prefix and then cut over to the new prefix allready assigned to the VLANS?

I know you can bind multiple IPv6 addresses to a VLAN, but I am not sure what one is deligated to users, is it just that if you don't add and EUI-64 to that new IPv6 VLAN IP it will not get advertised as a vaid prefix to clients/machines.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Did you mean you dont want the connected host to receive teh RA and autoconfig the prefix?. If so, you can configure not to advertise the prefix via RA using " ipv6 nd prefix no-advertise".

By doing this, RA will not be sent with mentioned prefix and so connected host cannot use the prefix for autoconfiguration.

HTH,

Nagendra

Thanks Nagendra,

I want to pre-deploy our new /48 prefix, but not have any hosts use this new prefix until we are ready.

So if I have (2) /64's assigned to a VLAN and utilize the prefix no-advertise, clients on that VLAN will only use the old prefix and nobody will pick up and use the new prefix?

Thanks

Hi,

in this case they won't know about this prefix as it not advertised by RA. I think you can play with the lifetimes of the new prefix to replace old one when it no longer valid.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Are you aware of the following RFC:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3484.txt ?

It describes address selection by hosts in case of multiple prefixes.

regards,

Leo