cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with ipv6 routing packet tracer

jpmeunier
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello, I'm creating this topic because I'm currently on an ipv6 routing lab with several routing techniques including dynamic in ospf and rip and static.
The goal of this lab is to interconnect several networks and I am currently training for the ccna hence the creation of this topic.
My problem is this: the right-hand side(with austrian cities) of the lab is routed in rip, and I've redistributed the route on the main router that links this network (the Swiss network) to the central network, which works.

Then I switched to ospf on the French network, which is down in the network, I created an ospf process, assigned a router id and redistributed the routes and did a "default-information originate", all went well the French network communicates well with my core network but it can't reach the austrian network.

I looked at the trainer's correction and did exactly as he did, and it works for him. When in doubt, I went back to his file and I see that even in his file it doesn't work.
I'm attaching it to you, and if the malfunction is due to a packet tracer version compatibility problem, can you help me set up an alternative solution for connecting these different networks?

in short, I'd like the "PC MTP" to be able to ping the GRAZ router or PC graz or any other Austrian network.

thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @jpmeunier ,

The issue seems to be with PT. The default static route does not seem to be redistributed properly in RIP on router autriche. To fix it, just go to this router and do the following:

config t

ipv6 router rip trameo

no redistribute static

redistribute static

You should be able to ping from PC MTP to PC GRAZ after that.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @jpmeunier ,

The issue seems to be with PT. The default static route does not seem to be redistributed properly in RIP on router autriche. To fix it, just go to this router and do the following:

config t

ipv6 router rip trameo

no redistribute static

redistribute static

You should be able to ping from PC MTP to PC GRAZ after that.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

A big thank you to you Harold, during my investigations I came to exactly the same conclusions and even doing your solution it doesn't work.
I have created an equivalent static route but there is a lot of packet loss, it doesn't matter it's just practice as long as I understand the logic and the problem that's the main thing.

I often come up against this kind of thing on packet tracer, a lot of incompatibilities and so on. Would you advise me to switch to gns3?

thank you

Hi @jpmeunier ,

After doing the above procedure, I can successfully tracert between PC MTP and PC GRAZ.

C:\>tracert 2043:B:B:B:204:9AFF:FE9B:CCA6

Tracing route to 2043:B:B:B:204:9AFF:FE9B:CCA6 over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 3334:34:34:34::34

2 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 3334::75

3 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 3300::33

4 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 2FFF::31

5 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 3143::43

6 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 2043::A

7 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 2043:0:0:AB::B

8 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 2043:B:B:B:204:9AFF:FE9B:CCA6

Although PT is a pretty good tool to start learning, I would definitely suggest moving to GNS3 or other simulation platforms, if you need to run any more elaborate scenarios.

Regards, 

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Maybe I made a mistake in a command or something.

Anyway thank you very much for your help, I think I will switch to gns3 for the next that seems to better match my expectations !