Views
Helpful
Replies

multiple IPv6 addresses on client

S891
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I am having trouble understanding the multiple IPv6 addresses on windows client setup for DHCP. I am seeing total of 6 IPv6 addresses. I was hoping to see only 3, one IPv6 address, one temporary address (if needed), and one link-local address. How do I get rid of them?

Please see attached for client IPv6 addresses and switch SVI config. It looks like I am missing eui-64 config. But still I am not sure why there are so many addresses. 

2 Replies 2

andresfr
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Fawad,

I hope you're doing great.

If you want to get more details about Types of Autoconfiguration and Autoconfiguration States (Preferred, Deprecated, among others) of IPv6 addresses in Windows, please consider checking the following link:

https://www.computernetworkingnotes.com/networking-tutorials/how-to-configure-ipv6-address-in-windows.html

I think you could be more concerned about the number of Temporary IPv6 addresses. Because IPv6 address identifiers remain static, for security reasons, temporary addresses are used. Temporary addresses are IPv6 interface identifiers that provide a level of anonymity. These addresses can be randomly generated and changed over time. The IPv6 protocol for Windows creates temporary addresses for global address prefixes by default. The "Temporary IPv6 Address" is because of Windows implementation of RFC 4941

I case you want to disable those temporary IPv6 addresses, you might refer to the following link:

How to disable temporary IPv6 address allocation at a Windows PC

https://knowledge.zomers.eu/misc/Pages/How-to-disable-temporary-IPv6-address-allocation-at-a-Windows-PC.aspx

I hope you find this information useful.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You currently use both DHCPv6 and SLAAC on the host, hence you are seeing so many addresses.

Try configuring the following commands under the switch interface, so the host don't generate addresses using SLAAC:

int vlan10

ipv6 nd managed-config-flag

ipv6 nd prefix prefix/prefix-length no-advertise

You should see only one IPv6 address learnt via dhcpv6 on the host after making that change.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México