Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1x failures

InfraISE2020
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon,

We have recently come across an issue in our environment that we hope you can assist us with. 

On the live logs, we noticed that some devices are failing authentication, leaving them in a disconnected state (i.e. no LAN or Wifi connectivity). We can identify the devices as their identity shows as "host/{deviceName.domain}" whereas when they successfully authenticate they show as {DeviceName.domain}.

Sometimes the devices reauthenticate and connects successfully (can take up to 35 minutes although the average is around 1 minute), other times a port bounce is required to get them reconnected.  

The strange thing is that the issue is intermittent and not linked to a particular device or type. 

Background

- Windows 10 20H2 devices

- Cisco 2960x user switches

- Cisco ISE 2.7 patch 2 running on VMWare

- User devices are authenticated using a machine certificate

Device Error

Event: 5411 Supplicant stopped responding to ISE

Failure Reason: 12934 Supplicant stopped responding to ISE during PEAP tunnel establishment

Resolution: Verify that supplicant is configured properly to conduct a full EAP conversation with ISE. Verify that NAS is configured properly to transfer EAP messages to/from supplicant. Verify that supplicant or NAS does not have a short timeout for EAP conversation. Check the network that connects the Network Access Server to ISE. Verify that ISE local server certificate is trusted on supplicant.

Root Cause: Supplicant stopped responding to ISE during PEAP tunnel establishment

I have attached a screenshot of the errors and an output of a result, any help would be appreciated. 

FYI a TAC has been opened with Cisco. 

Thanks in advance. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You already opened a TAC case - I am closing this thread to prevent duplicate efforts and not waste people's time.

In the future it would be great if you could post a followup to your thread for what solved the problem so others could learn from it.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If possible please share the following:

-Supplicant being used (native/nam)

-Interface config

-Supplicant config

-Switch debugs

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You already opened a TAC case - I am closing this thread to prevent duplicate efforts and not waste people's time.

In the future it would be great if you could post a followup to your thread for what solved the problem so others could learn from it.

Hello,

Maybe you find the solution ?